• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private sale of vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pebbles65

Oregon
Private seller of vehicle on installments says I still owe, my records show I am paid. Seller refuses to give title, and refusing to register and get tags since March 2019. I stopped paying insurance since unable to drive that is through his insurance. He now saying I owe 700 in insurance and pay him 980 or consider car stolen and I am no longer on policy. Other thing he never made any contract I've never signed anything and have had car forc4 years. I do have a witness to our oral agreement. But I have no idea what to do. One other the vehicle history report has nothing on it the car in a 2003 should thus concern me

Just Blue

Oregon
Private seller of vehicle on installments says I still owe, my records show I am paid. Seller refuses to give title, and refusing to register and get tags since March 2019. I stopped paying insurance since unable to drive that is through his insurance. He now saying I owe 700 in insurance and pay him 980 or consider car stolen and I am no longer on policy. Other thing he never made any contract I've never signed anything and have had car forc4 years. I do have a witness to our oral agreement. But I have no idea what to do. One other the vehicle history report has nothing on it the car in a 2003 should thus concern me
Did you make all payments on time? Did the contract have a $$ penalty for late payments? How did you make the monthly payments...in cash (with receipt) by check?

If your name is not on the title, legally the car doesn't belong to you.
I can't remember how many times the police got called to similar arguments between people who have had verbal "contracts".
Our first question was always "Who's name is on the title?"

Mass_Shyster

Tell the seller since he is threatening to report the car as stolen, then it must be his car. Tell him you'll gladly return the car and he can return the payments you've made.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Tell the seller since he is threatening to report the car as stolen, then it must be his car. Tell him you'll gladly return the car and he can return the payments you've made.
I hear what you're saying - but it seems to me like the payments were for renting the car ;)

Pebbles65

There was only verbal contract seller did do the written like I asked. Yes by my records all paid
I can't remember how many times the police got called to similar arguments between people who have had verbal "contracts".
Our first question was always "Who's name is on title I am not sure the car history report has me concerned because it has only one thing on it that is sale of car when seller bought
Did you make all payments on time? Did the contract have a $$ penalty for late payments? How did you make the monthly payments...in cash (with receipt) by check?

Pebbles65

Our agreement had none of the stuff like intrest late fees just 150 a month for 3 years.
46 goes towards insurance 104 toward payment.

Pebbles65

I
Paid how? Cash?Check? Money order?
paid both cash money order and seller who I should say is family was suppose to or said he would get me my receipt I finally sent him a letter stating I would like a copy mailed to me monthly of payments made. He has not ever done one thing requested of him

LdiJ

Our agreement had none of the stuff like intrest late fees just 150 a month for 3 years.
46 goes towards insurance 104 toward payment.
The 980 he is demanding isn't even divisible by 150. That would be 6 months plus a little more than half a months worth of payments.

Pebbles65

QUOT it wasn't his title yet till last week.can I ask you a question. Should I have concern about title that has no record of any sales on it for a 2003. What started I think part was when I took car for air bag recall I learned air bags were cut out seller denied any knowledge. So I asked for copy of who he bought car from and where Jan 2018. I have yet to get and its like he stalled for a year.
Our first question was always "Who's name is on the title?"

As his name is on the title the car legally belongs to him.
I wouldn't worry too much about prior registrations or sales as this will not help resolve your problem. Any concerns you have should have been raised when you made the verbal agreement to buy a car, especially when the seller, at that time, was not the registered owner.

Pebbles65

T
As his name is on the title the car legally belongs to him.
I wouldn't worry too much about prior registrations or sales as this will not help resolve your problem. Any concerns you have should have been raised when you made the verbal agreement to buy a car, especially when the seller, at that time, was not the registered owner.
The reason on the sales us because I think that fraud might be an why he wont give me his name or where he bought. The car report says no accidents but when i had at a shop the mechanic said to me if i new car had been in accident. And with air bags cut out and unable to do takati recall thus car is unsafe . Plus the dimished value learning about airbags l paid 4200 and it was only worth really 980

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">