• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private School and Release of Student

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

schnauzers

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I will try and do this without going into pages of detail.

My son was accepted to and enrolled in a private elementary school. This is school is one of two in the area and does have a religious affiliation although it is not my religion. Again, he was accepted, meaning he tested to get into this school. I sent him there because I wanted him to have the best opportunities in life which this school has been proven to provide. Aside from the $10,000 a year to send him there, we were asked to donate to the teacher retirement fund (if we would like to). I could barely scrape up enough to send him to the school let alone give more money, so we did not contribute. Please understand that this school also has some high profile students that are children of some wealthy local sports players and other businessmen. I am not one of those.

Well towards the end of last year they decided to say that my son was "learning disabled in math and instructions". Their HIRED school psych gave me test results with penciled in lines saying this showed his problem. They also said that this was a problem for their other students and thought he would do better elsewehere, meaning public school). Of course we could have kept him there but uynder those circumstances, he would have been targeted. They suggested he go to a tutor to improve, this was two weeks before the end of school). We enrolled him in public school and even had to tell the township about his learning difficulties (this was very embarassing to him and to us). He thinks he is stupid because he is going to public school). We also sent him to the tutor that was recommended by the private school and she told us "there is nothing wrong with him. He is not perfect in math, but he is certainly not learning disabled." We still kept him there anyway (another $4000 for the summer so he could get a head start on next year). I seriously believe he was targeted because of his religion and financial background. I know this because the tutor told us she had other kids from his class who should be in special schools due to learning difficulties and attention disorders.

I would like to know if I have a case here for:

1. Recouping the money that was invested in him education at the private school ($10,000) and
2. Damages

Thank you for your time!

Last edited:

JETX

Q1) "I would like to know if I have a case here for: Recouping the money that was invested in him education at the private school ($10,000)"
A1) No. He did get a years education.

Q2) "I would like to know if I have a case here for: Damages"
A2) No. I don't see any 'damages' in your post.

V

Votan

The fact that he was described with learning disability in math should not demoralize you (I don’t understand what disability in instructions means). Your son may not be predisposed to learn math, this is normal. It is normal that some people are predisposed to learn one thing but not another. The semantic should not allude you. He is not perfect in math, or he is disabled in math, that means the same thing for the school you referred to. If their standard in math is higher than what your son could acquire in the same period of time relative to other kids, that should not be interpreted as targeting him. It is not fair for the school and it is not fair for your son to demoralize him by this unfair obsession. Halket answered your questions correctly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">