• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

private school contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GAsupermom

What is the name of your state? GA
We signed a contract to enroll our children in a private school. We showed up the first day of school to complete chaos. We found out the Spanish teacher did not speak Spanish. The chemistry teacher told the class there woudln't be any labs because they didn't have the room or the equipment. Students were being put in classes that they had already taken or in with other grades/levels. My highschool daughter said she could get a better education at home.
I signed the contract on Friday. I stopped payment on the check tonight. The contract says that they do not give any refunds for any reasons. I can't afford to give them $1350 and not go there.

Does GA law allow you to change your mind on a contract within 72 hours?

The administrator told me that students were accepted on a 60 day probationary period. It should work both ways!

shortbus

I doubt there's a 'cooling off' period where you can rescind the contract without penalty, but you might be able to make a claim under breach of implied warranty of fitness. When you buy a product or service, it contains an implied warranty that it will do the advertised function.

Also, is the school accredited? If so you should complain to the accrediting authority.

djohnson

Did you ask these questions before you enrolled your child? Is it in the contract? I personally think you are out of luck, and even if you have a case, you shouldn't have put the stop payment on the check. It is not a valid reason and a warrant could still be filed which would make this a criminal matter instead of a civil one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">