• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private School Issue. Can I sue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

waitinMd

lol, oh I many stories ....

why don't you call the Archdiocese first thing in the morning and explain, tell them you just "plum" don't understand! See what they say. It would also be good for your case that you tried various ways to try to work this out.

BTW, there are many law suits against Catholic schools on Maryland Judiciary Case Search, search by company.

I can tell you that most schools will try to avoid going to court ....

mdbusinessman

Sorry! I goofed. It's an Episcopal school. Any suggestions on that one?

Edit: I think I answered my question:

http://www.ang-md.org/

I'll write them as well, asking them to intervene. And I agree..it will only help that I've tried to exhaust all options before filing a suit. Thanks.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I doubt that there is a "form" available for that kind of lawsuit. I am also not sure that such a suit is viable against a private school. I think that you should consult a local attorney.

You also need to realize that suing the school will likely get your children tossed out. A private school is not required to accept the enrollment of any particular student. Naturally the school would want to protect itself from future litigation by removing your children. Is that in their best interest?
Yes it is because private schools still have to follow the state's laws. And the child can always go to public school which means dad would deifnitely be covered under FERPA.

ProSeDadinMD

Sorry, but you could have easily walked into court alone, sans lawyer, and maintained joint LEGAL custody, with visitation rights.

You GAVE UP on your kids. Nice:rolleyes:...

mdbusinessman

Very easy to toss stones, when a person isnt aware of the entirety of the situation, so I'll let that one pass. ;-)

And since unlike others, you have not provided any constructive input in this thread, but appear to be trolling, I'll

I'll simply stay focused on the current issue at hand and proceed accordingly.

Thanks for the constructive input, for those that did in fact, provide it. I'll indeed contact the Archdiocese, and await their response. If it is not a response that will be in accordnace with Maryland Family Law 9-104, then a lawsuit will begin.

Last edited:

ProSeDadinMD

I'll simply stay focused on the current issue at hand and proceed accordingly.
Sorry, but I'd imagine that at least the family court master/judge(if not the civil judge) will ask the same question regarding why you're soooooo quick to want to sue Mom, but couldn't keep fighting for your kids. Just call me CynicalProSeDadinMD:rolleyes:.

There's more to this story unless you're just after MOM because she/her husband are making so much more money than you and you are looking for a payday...

mdbusinessman

Sorry, but I'd imagine that at least the family court master/judge(if not the civil judge) will ask the same question regarding why you're soooooo quick to want to sue Mom, but couldn't keep fighting for your kids. Just call me CynicalProSeDadinMD:rolleyes:.

There's more to this story unless you're just after MOM because she/her husband are making so much more money than you and you are looking for a payday...
"sue mom and her husband (actually..ex husband as of late last year) for a big payday"?

tell the truth..you didn't read the subject of this thread, or any of the posts on page one, did you?

;-)

Last edited:

ProSeDadinMD

"sue mom and her husband (actually..ex husband as of late last year) for a big payday"?

tell the truth..you didn't read the subject of this thread, or any of the posts on page one, did you?

;-)
No, I did. Espescially this:

About 8 years ago, during a custody hearing that I filed, I lost my part of shared legal custody. (in short, a custody evaluation was done right at time of divorce. My daughters were 1 1/2 and 3 at the time..the custody evaluator found both parents fit, and shared custody was agreed upon. she stated that when the youngest turned 4, which was 5 years ago, my daughters should begin spending additional time with me. When she she turned 4 and I approached their mother, she refused. So, I had to have my attorney file a motion, which resulted in a 4 daycourt hearing. In short, the evaluator still recommended the additional time with me, the girls' therapist agreed, and both also agreed that shared legal should be switched to sole legal for me. In the end, the judge stated that he was "not bound to listen to the testimony of any expert witness", and chose to leave the visitation schedule as it was as to not create unneeded change for the children, and as far as our competing motions for sole legal custody, she won, as her attorney successfully argued the states "Taylor vs. Taylor" precedent case which if I recall correctly, states that when the two parents cant agree on major decisions about the children, then there should not be a shared legal custody arrangement. And since the girls were with their mother the majority of the time, the mother should have the decision making privilege
Which tell me that for at least 3 or 4 years you haven't tried to get any visitation. At least according to the bolded portions. Still calling BS on this.

By all means throw FERPA at the school. As others have said, you are legally entitled to that information.

I think that the likelyhhood of you getting Mom busted out by the judge are 50/50. And to what end? You apparently didn't try and amend visiation in all of this time.

BTW, as a general rule, I am an advocate for Dads on here. I think that's saying something about what I see here.

Even your title spells it out. "Can I sue?":rolleyes:.

Last edited:

mdbusinessman

By all means throw FERPA at the school. As others have said, you are legally entitled to that information.

Even your title spells it out. "Can I sue?":rolleyes:.
*sigh*

Again..you obviously did not read or comprehend page one. FERPA is NOT applicable in this situation..as spelled out in at least two posts on page one.

My subject specifically references "the SCHOOL"..which you conveniently left out. My issue is with THE SCHOOLS violation of 9-104 Maryland law. Are you not grasping the fact that a non-custodial parent in Maryland is legally entitled to educational information about the children?

The only reference to any form of suit against "mom"..comes from..you.

;-)

But thanks. Enjoy your day.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
*sigh*

Again..you obviously did not read or comprehend page one. FERPA is NOT applicable in this situation..as spelled out in at least two posts on page one.

My subject specifically references "the SCHOOL"..which you conveniently left out. My issue is with THE SCHOOLS violation of 9-104 Maryland law. Are you not grasping the fact that a non-custodial parent in Maryland is legally entitled to educational information about the children?

The only reference to any form of suit against "mom"..comes from..you.

;-)

But thanks. Enjoy your day.
STATE LAW IS APPLICABLE at least. And you have been answered by me regarding what you can do.

ProSeDadinMD

Ok, so all thoughts of lawsuits aside:rolleyes:.

Again, why ALL OF A SUDDEN are you so concerned? I mean espescially after 4 or more years of not being so. I've asked several timesI(and you've avoided the qustion each time), and as I said, a Maryland family Master/Judge may well ask the same. Particularly if you've brought suit against the school and/or Mom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">