• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pro Se Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1Peter169

What is the name of your state?Iowa

My wife of 24 years filed dissolution papers and I am acting as my own attorney. We have completed pretrial (not a pretty sight) and are now scheduled for trial in March. I have done pretty well up to this point, but I really want to make sure that the evidence papers I file are done correctly. Once they are all organized, do I take them to the courthouse and file them with the clerk just as I have with all my motions and responses? And what do I do if her lawyer refuses a piece of evidence? Can I still insist that it be allowed?

ceara19

1Peter169 said:
What is the name of your state?Iowa
And what do I do if her lawyer refuses a piece of evidence? Can I still insist that it be allowed?
You can REQUEST. NEVER insist on anything IN court. Respectfully request that the judge allow (insert item here) into evidence.

JETX

1Peter169 said:
Once they are all organized, do I take them to the courthouse and file them with the clerk just as I have with all my motions and responses?
And the ACCURATE answer is....
Though your GUESS to file with the court is likely accurate, no once GUESS what the REAL process is without knowing EXACTLY what documents you are talking about. For example, some documents need to be presented to opposing counsel for review and signature BEFORE filing.... some don't.

And what do I do if her lawyer refuses a piece of evidence? Can I still insist that it be allowed?
You can certainly present an objection or argument for its acceptance or denial..... but you will have to have a LEGALLY valid reason and not just 'cause I want it!'.

1Peter169

JETX said:
Though your GUESS to file with the court is likely accurate, no once GUESS what the REAL process is without knowing EXACTLY what documents you are talking about. For example, some documents need to be presented to opposing counsel for review and signature BEFORE filing.... some don't.
For example:
She claims that I haven't paid anything pertaining to the house. I have proof up the wazoo. Do I just make copies of it all and list it on my evidence sheet and make a copy for her attorney and then file the other copies with the court?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">