• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

probable cause

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mntncwby

What is the name of your state? Colorado
On August 16, 2002 a CI was working with The West Metro Drug Task Force. She (the CI) was accompanied by an undercover officer, he was wired. Dustin met them in a parking lot and took money to purchase speed. He told them he would have to go get it and would meet them in an hour.
Dustin drove from there to my house, followed by several unmarked police cars. He opened the gate and drove up to the barn. About 30 minutes later he was seen leaving the barn. He drove to where the CI and undercover were. He gave them 1 gram of speed.
3 Days later West Metro applied for and recieved a search warrant for my house,barn and an RV parked above the house. They were looking for marked money and speed. 9 days after issuance the search warrant was executed by the swat team. West Metro took over and began searching. They found 1 gram of speed, several hunting rifles.
Was there probable cause?

M

mntncwby

Ok, can you explain your answer

I appreciate the answer but, if you could explain your answer it would help alot. I've been reading statutes and just don't see where probable cause is shown. They followed a person who may have had the drugs on him the whole time. They didn't see or hear any conversations at my place. I'm not trying to force my opinion on this, I'm looking for a better understanding.
A second question if I could impose on your time. Is the search warrant to broad? They searched every room in every building, they even searched sheds on the neighbors property. Would such a large search be exploratory?
Thank you
[email protected]

Last edited:

JETX

You asked a simple yes or no question and I answered.

As to reasons let me point to your own post:
1) Your son was fingered by a CI and was approached by the CI and the undercover officer. He took the offered money and went to 'get it'.
2) He was followed to the place where 'it' was kept, and returned with the illegal drugs.
3) Based on this DIRECT evidence, the police executed a search warrant on the location where HE lead them. As a result of the search, the found illegal drugs.

Now you are asking "where is the probable cause". Sorry, but you obviously are missing something here. The 'probable cause' is that the officers paid for the drugs, he delivered them. Further probable cause was the fact that he was dealing from a known location, thereby giving the police the probable cause for a search warrant.

The fact that you seem to no understand the LOGIC of this whole thing makes me wonder if we are missing something or if you are unable to view the incident objectively.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">