• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

probate? can you help??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



My mother died in Fl. and left only a small lot valued at about $4,000. I am the only child and she was not married.
A lawyer told me it would cost $2400 to go through probate.
Is there another way? Can I file the necessary papers myself? seems wrong to charge so much for so little.
thank you


Senior Member
Go to the Probate Court in the county where she died and ask for the small estate procedure. If it applies you can do it yourself.

Charging $2400 for a $4000 estate seeks almost outrageous, but perhaps there is something else involved that I am missing or was not told. If you can't do it yourself, get a second or thrid quote.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential