• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? NY
I lived with a man for 15 years, and we were buying a house together. It was supposed to be filed that we inherited from each other in case of death...but it was filed wrong. He died suddenly, without a will. At the time his son was only 17, so we waited until he was 18, to sign the papers over to me, since he inherited his father's share of the house. Now I want to sell the property, and I find it has to go through probate. Am I responsible for the legal fees to do this? I am only selling the house for what I owe on it, because it is a burden to me. It is in disrepair, and I just can't afford to keep it up. His surviving family consists of his son, a brother and several uncles. I paid for his funeral expenses. The lawyer is petitioning to name me executor.
Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential