• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate still open - loss in stock market

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sashamalone

Illinois

My mother died without a will in February of this year. Approximately 600,000 of her estate was in the stock market - there were no beneficiaries and Illinois law states that 1/2 goes to my father and 1/2 goes to her children.

My father is the administrator of her estate - my 1/2 sisters (from my mother's 1st marriage) have been making his life hell. The petioned the court to have his administration supervised - and have generally been huge pains in the rear.

My father left all the monies as they were, but of course, stocks have taken a tumble and instead of 600K, there's around 400K left. He's very worried that after all is said and done that my 1/2 sisters are going to sue him for not cashing out the stock right when she died - seeing as how over 200K in value has been lost.

There is also a family farm (200+ acres) that he inherited that will need to be sold and the profit divided - so the stocks aren't the only thing of value.

Can my evil sisters sue my dad? And is there a chance they would win?

Last edited:

F

Flowerpatch

I really don't have any advise for you but,
I truly feel for what is happening to your Family.

My sister has been awful, and come to find out she
isn't even my Father's Daughter.

I just wanted to let you know you are not alone.

Dandy Don

He is worrying about nothing--even if they did sue, the suit would be unsuccessful--your father is not liable for any downturns in the stock market.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">