• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

probate, will ???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tybri

What is the name of your state?florida
If a member of your family passes away, does the estate automatically go into probate ? what if there is a will, how does the process work as far as reading the will etc... I am completely ignorant as far as to how the process works. Do I need an attorney???? What if the deceased was residing in another state at the time?????

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

tybri said:
What is the name of your state?florida

If a member of your family passes away, does the estate automatically go into probate ?

MY RESPONSE: No. In order for an Estate to be probated, a family member, a creditor, a beneficiary, or anyone with an interest in the Estate MUST file a "Petition for Probate" in a court of competent jurisdiction.

what if there is a will, how does the process work as far as reading the will etc...

MY RESPONSE: It was strictly for dramatic purposes on television, or the movies, when everyone gathered in the wood-paneled office of the attorney to have the Will read to everyone. In reality, there is no such requirement. You can, however, obtain a copy of the Will from the court file. The clerk of the Probate court will charge a small fee for this service. If a Probate is filed, you can file with the court, and serve on the Executor of the Estate, a "Request For Special Notice" whereby everything done on the Estate must be copied and sent to you. Again, there is a fee for this; but, you'll be kept "in the know" about what's happening with the Estate as it happens.

I am completely ignorant as far as to how the process works. Do I need an attorney????

MY RESPONSE: That depends upon your interests in the Estate, and whether the Executor is doing his/her job. You may consider having an attorney review the paperwork you receive as a result of the papers you receive under the "Request For Special Notice".

What if the deceased was residing in another state at the time?????

MY RESPONSE: What about it? Other than the fact that the Estate is probated where the death occurred, I don't understand your question.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">