• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probation officer issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bajamanlyman

alright so first off when I got put on probation I got put on probation for I purchased a scooter for my brother-in-law and ended up being reported as stolen unbeknownst to me. I have zero drug charges whatsoever. So my father is a police officer in the city I live in.when I got put on probation my probation officer called and spoke to my father and my father told him that he should drop me and yes I did drop dirty. So now I have drug classes and you have to drop and all that fun stuff. I have a wife and three kids and pay rent for a house that I'm not allowed to be at my probation officer seems to think you're my dad being in my house with my wife is the cause of my drug use and so he has had me in a halfway house for the last 3 months and away from my family and having to pay rent at my halfway house and at my house. While at the halfway house I witnessed a serious crime a homicide which included the one of the managers there and the security guard new about it. Because I was there when it happened or or found out about it. I thought it would be in my best interest to let my probation officer know about it and let him know you know about it so nothing comes back on me. I mean if the guys at the halfway house were willing to beat a guy to death imagine what they would do to me if they found out that I were to say something. So I was in fear for my life. My probation officer told me go to the police department make a report and then return back to the halfway house. after I left my probation officer is called the owner of the halfway house and told him everything that I had told him. now the owner of the halfway house let the manager that was involved and the security guard that knew about it that I had let my probation officer know what happened. So now I've got a group of guys wanting to beat my ass over me talking. It was my understanding that my conversations with my probation officer where confidential. not only did he give out that information but through my whole entire probation. That I've been on so far he's been talking to my father through the whole process and him and my father have been coming up with stuff together. my dad doesn't like my wife or me being with her and you know as help persuade the probation officer to keep me away from her. is there any type of legal action or anything I can do to switch probation officers maybe or I don't know I just I don't feel like this is right?

quincy

What is the name of your state?

What you say to your probation officer is not “privileged.” There should have been no expectation by you that the information you had on a beating at the halfway house would remain confidential.

For confidentiality, you should have spoken with an attorney. You might want to speak to one now.

commentator

So your question is.......? What do you think would be the fair or right thing to have happen to you right now?
Do you still have an attorney? Why did you not inform your father about this incident, discuss who to talk to about it with him? And it wasn't likely that it was solely because your father was talking to him that your probation officer decided you didn't need to be around your wife. Because "common interests" you know. From the sound of things, you have a serious undealt-with substance abuse issue. Keep your head down and your mouth shut in your halfway house, maybe you'll be all right.

I doubt you can start any legal action against your PO. As for it not being right you always have the option to aks your PO to revoke your probation. Then you can complete your jail time, end your drug dependence, and upon your release, no more PO.

quincy

bajamanlyman could request of his probation officer a change in residence if there is another halfway house in the area that is not filled to capacity. Finding space available in halfway houses is often a challenge.

bajamanlyman

By telling the owner of the halfway house now has my life at risk. The man they beat up ended up dying. I did speak with my dad before my PO and his advice was to tell my PO what had happened. I dropped dirty for marijuana..... My wife and I smoke marijuana sometimes. Or I did until I started having to drop. The whole reason I am in this mess is because of buying a scooter from my brother in law that he stole without telling me. He told me as soon as I payed it off he would give me the title. I didn't think for one second that it could have been stolen. Thought you could trust family. I'm not a criminal I work have 2 kids of my own and 2 foster kids at home that I only get to see for a couple hours a day.

quincy

By telling the owner of the halfway house now has my life at risk. The man they beat up ended up dying. I did speak with my dad before my PO and his advice was to tell my PO what had happened. I dropped dirty for marijuana..... My wife and I smoke marijuana sometimes. Or I did until I started having to drop. The whole reason I am in this mess is because of buying a scooter from my brother in law that he stole without telling me. He told me as soon as I payed it off he would give me the title. I didn't think for one second that it could have been stolen. Thought you could trust family. I'm not a criminal I work have 2 kids of my own and 2 foster kids at home that I only get to see for a couple hours a day.
In your first post you said you bought a scooter FOR your brother-in-law. Did the police arrest your brother-in-law for selling you a stolen scooter?

quincy

My apologies it was supposed to say I bought one from my brother in law and no he didn't get in trouble
What is the name of your state, bajamanlyman?

How much longer is your probation?

By the way, you said in your first post that you have 3 kids. In your later post you say you have 4 (2 of your own, 2 foster kids).

Last edited:

commentator

If your brother in law (wife's brother) is dealing in stolen goods, that would be an excellent reason for your parole officer, not just your daddy to want to keep you away from the whole family. "I thought you could trust family" is something you might say about your own family, but your perceptions, gathered from dealing with your family may be way off from what you can expect of your wife's family Perhaps back in jail would be safer for you than your current situation. If people are regularly being beaten to death where you are, there is probably a better place for you to be. And I doubt they'll just let you go home to the wife and children. You'll have to work on it.

Seeing those 3 or 4 kids is not a right for you at this time, it's contingent on how you do. If you can't stay off the weed long enough to keep from "dropping dirty" repeatedly under the circumstances you are in, it appears you have a problem and you won't get to change your situation much until it is dealt with.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Since you are a convicted criminal, the foster children may very well be removed if CPS finds out about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">