• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probation Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

In the state of Virginia is it possible to work out of town while on supervised probation? On probation because of a felony drug charge that resulted in no jail time, loss of license for 6 months, but 20 years of supervised probation.

quincy

In the state of Virginia is it possible to work out of town while on supervised probation? On probation because of a felony drug charge that resulted in no jail time, loss of license for 6 months, but 20 years of supervised probation.
You would need the approval of your probation officer.

FlyingRon

I know some guys in the Virginia probation department. Are we talking a job out of town but within the state (or your metro area) or a short temporary assignment somewhere? Are you still going to reside in the same place?

But in any case, if you're in good standing with your PO, they're likely to approve anything that looks like legitimate employment.
The only reticence may be that they do have the authority to pay work visits and if its farther than they want to drive it might be an issue.

I'm asking this question for someone I Know. He is a welder and his home base is here in Virginia, but he travels a week or a few at a time to work. Its not something new, he's done this for a long time. Lots of out of town and lots of out of state work.

quincy

I'm asking this question for someone I Know. He is a welder and his home base is here in Virginia, but he travels a week or a few at a time to work. Its not something new, he's done this for a long time. Lots of out of town and lots of out of state work.
Out of state work could be a problem. Out of city work might be easier for your friend to get approved.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Probation is a privilege, not a right.

Your friend should discuss this with his PO and his lawyer. There are often geographic restrictions for probation, as it is difficult to supervise someone no longer in the area.

It does not matter how long your friend has been doing "Lots of out of town and lots of out of state work." The fact is, he has a felony and in order to avoid jail time, he has to accept the limitations of probation, and it was while he had this work pattern that he did whatever he did that got him into trouble.

I don't disagree with you on that fact not2cleverRed. The price of getting caught with drugs is just one reason you shouldn't use or even have them around you. Thank you for your reply.

Just Blue

Does "someone you know", know you are posting for him online? Is there a good reason s/he can't join and ask their own questions? It's ever so much easier for the volunteers to deal with the legal party.

FlyingRon

I suspect that barring some other issues with the PO as long as he is home at night, servicing jobs at a distance isn't going to be a problem. If he's talking about more than that, then he'd need to make a good case to the officer.

They only have to go through the interstate compact (getting the other state to approve) if they want the foreign state to perform the supervisory role. If the Commonwealth wants to keep doing it, they don't need anybody else's permisison even if the guy up and moves to another state.

It usually boils down to what the PO sees as a risk. Some probationers are required to get a travel permit for each trip BEFORE they go anywhere. Some are allowed to just drop a notification by phone. Others get a blanket auth from their PO.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">