• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probation Supervision fees after Early Termination Colorado

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ryanryan

In Colorado. Was sentenced to 12 months probation starting July 17th, 2019.

Along the way assorted probation employees have mentioned "saving money" on a few months fees if I complete everything early and get early term.

On June 4th I called to ask about fees in preparation for a June 10th meeting, and was told no early term that I would owe $200 for 4 months (April, May, June, July). I paid this on June 5th. At the meeting on June 10th I was told, "oh I don't have a meeting with you, you were termed back in March". I was still being drug tested and those were turned off June 10th. I was told that I would get a refund for the overpayment from the corporate office but have not been able to contact anyone about this.

Do I owe the $50 per month for April, May, June, when I was early termed but still being supervised? Since it all ended June 10th should I owe $50 for July?
If I didn't need to pay How does one go about collecting over-payment from a probation company?

quincy

In Colorado. Was sentenced to 12 months probation starting July 17th, 2019.

Along the way assorted probation employees have mentioned "saving money" on a few months fees if I complete everything early and get early term.

On June 4th I called to ask about fees in preparation for a June 10th meeting, and was told no early term that I would owe $200 for 4 months (April, May, June, July). I paid this on June 5th. At the meeting on June 10th I was told, "oh I don't have a meeting with you, you were termed back in March". I was still being drug tested and those were turned off June 10th. I was told that I would get a refund for the overpayment from the corporate office but have not been able to contact anyone about this.

Do I owe the $50 per month for April, May, June, when I was early termed but still being supervised? Since it all ended June 10th should I owe $50 for July?
If I didn't need to pay How does one go about collecting over-payment from a probation company?
I am not sure why you were told in March that your probation was terminated early - but as long as you were still being supervised (e.g., drug tested), you would owe the $50/month supervision fee.

You would have needed to petition the court for early termination of your probation if you wanted to be released early, and then the court, at its discretion, would have needed to sign off on your probation.

If you have a question about your probation and what you believe is an overpayment, you should speak to your probation officer or contact the probation office in your county.

Here is a link to county probation office contacts (click on your county):
https://www.courts.state.co.us/Probation/County/Choose.cfm

Good luck.

Last edited:

ryanryan

I am not sure why you were told in March that your probation was terminated early - but as long as you were still being supervised (e.g., drug tested), you would owe the $50/month supervision fee.

You would have needed to petition the court for early termination of your probation if you wanted to be released early, and then the court, at its discretion, would have needed to sign off on your probation.
Will check with the county office, trouble is that I was transferred to a district closer to my home and they outsource low-risk supervision to a private company.

I was not told I was released in March. on March 21 I had a meeting where early term was discussed and sent to the probation department of the offense, the court/judge is in another county/district. On March 23rd the Judge ordered early term, then COVID happened, and somehow the message never got to me or the 'case manager'. So thinking I was still on probation I made arrangements to pay and be present at a June 10th meeting.

Why I should pay for them 'supervising' me past when it was ordered?

The 'case manager' had said their corporate would send a check, but it has been a month and they are taking messages but not returning phone calls to check on it (3 calls total).

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The 'case manager' had said their corporate would send a check, but it has been a month and they are taking messages but not returning phone calls to check on it (3 calls total).
Wait a bit longer - at least another 30 days.

quincy

Will check with the county office, trouble is that I was transferred to a district closer to my home and they outsource low-risk supervision to a private company.

I was not told I was released in March. on March 21 I had a meeting where early term was discussed and sent to the probation department of the offense, the court/judge is in another county/district. On March 23rd the Judge ordered early term, then COVID happened, and somehow the message never got to me or the 'case manager'. So thinking I was still on probation I made arrangements to pay and be present at a June 10th meeting.

Why I should pay for them 'supervising' me past when it was ordered?

Okay. So that is more information than you provided before.

There are delays all over the place due to Covid-19. You can continue to check on your expected refund (although I think you might find you owe for all but one month, since you were drug tested in June).

What confuses me is that you, the district attorney and your probation officer should all have been notified that the court terminated your probation early - and the court generally only terminates probation early upon formal request.

I suggest you contact your probation officer, the probation office, the district attorney and the court to find out the status of your probation.

Good luck.

quincy

It sounds as if something was in writing from the court - but ryanryan and his case manager/probation officer never received the message.

ryanryan

This time get something in writing instead of relying on being "told."
Many things are in writing. You really think a "case manager" is going to give me a 'we over charged you' or 'we kept you under probation supervision for 3 extra months' in writing?

quincy

Many things are in writing. You really think a "case manager" is going to give me a 'we over charged you' or 'we kept you under probation supervision for 3 extra months' in writing?
You should have received notice of termination of your probation. The notice should also have been sent to the DA and your probation officer.

But the court (generally) will not terminate probation without formal request (a petition filed by the probationer and/or his representative).

FarmerJ

Stop calling and use real written on paper letter , keep a copy for your self and send a copy to your PO and to the company that was handling this and send those out certified mail to the company and certificate of mailing to your PO he/ she wont have to sign for it but your postal receipt stapled to your copy will give you a good paper trail and using certified mail for that private company gives you solid proof that you have communicated with them and in the letter out line your complaint and the overpayment and make it clear you expect a refund.

quincy

Stop calling and use real written on paper letter , keep a copy for your self and send a copy to your PO and to the company that was handling this and send those out certified mail to the company and certificate of mailing to your PO he/ she wont have to sign for it but your postal receipt stapled to your copy will give you a good paper trail and using certified mail for that private company gives you solid proof that you have communicated with them and in the letter out line your complaint and the overpayment and make it clear you expect a refund.
He should find out the real status of his probation first, though. The county probation offices accept phone calls and emails and faxes. I fear any letter would get lost in the shuffle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">