• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probation violation situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MadBlader

The story seems like a bad soap opera, but I'll give you the relevant points.
My cousin Erika (only has a US citizenship, early 30s, and has one young child) lived in a border town with Mexico, she was on probation and her long-term boyfriend (9 years together) persuaded her to move to the other side of the border because he was an illegal and was having a hard time finding work.
They were living in Mexico and the boyfriend beat the living crap out of her, he broke her nose and had to be hospitalized. Needless to say, she's on her own with a young child and no means to support herself, and she can't comeback because she doesn't have a passport and most likely a warrant.
The really sad part is that only me and my dad are the only ones helping them with food and bills, but our goal is to bring her back to the US.

This is all confusing and we are not rich people, but we are trying to see how we can help. If you guys have any ideas on how should we start or what kind of lawyer should we get, and/or what are our legal option. Or in general any good piece of advice for this situation it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all and Happy New Year!

LdiJ

One critical issue was what she was on probation for and what type of probation it was (supervised vs non supervised). Also, finding out where she stands with that probation is pretty critical. A criminal defense attorney would be in a better position to help with that.

She doesn't necessarily need a passport to come home. She of course (and her child) would need proof of US citizenship.

xylene

You story is confusing down to her status and where this took place.

If she is a US citizen in mexico with no papers, she needs to contact the nearest US consulate. She may be eligible for emergecny services given the domestic violence. Situation may be adverse given the currrent situation on the boarder.

FlyingRon

As far as her returning to the US, the probation issue is irrelevant. She might get arrested once she returns (more on that later), but it shouldn't stop her from entering as a citizen. If she HAD a passport and just isn't in possession of one, getting it replaced is straightforward and can be done in a day or two. If she didn't have one, it's more involved. Either way, it starts with a phone call to the nearest embassy or consulate.

If she absconded from US probation, she should also contact an attorney in the state handling the probation and arrange an orderly return to supervision/custody.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">