• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problem Driver Pointer System suspension because of ID theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state? Maryland

I saw another thread here in this forum so I thought this would be a good place for this. It involves driving, but not DUI.

My MD driver's license will expire in December 2021. I recently discovered that according to the Problem Driver Pointer System (PDPS) there is a problem in North Carolina (NC) with my driving privilege that must be resolved before I can apply for a MD license. Apparently it has to do with someone who used my name as an alias in 2011. This guy used to live two houses away from me and would often use my name as an alias when he got caught for various crimes and traffic violations. I didn't have to go to court for the non-traffic crimes he got caught for, but I did go to traffic court in Maryland a couple times to plead not guilty. One time I got a letter from Prince George, Va saying that I didn't show up to court for a traffic violation. I wrote back and told them about the problem I had been having and they wrote me telling me to send a copy of my driver's license which I did. An officer from Howard County, MD wrote a letter to the judge about the one man crime wave who had used my name numerous times in the past. I didn't hear anything else about it after that.

In 2011, I got something in the mail from Granville court in NC about not paying a fine and my driving privileges being suspended. I talked to the officer over the phone that arrested the man who used my name who also went to court and pled guilty. The officer said I didn't have to pay the fine. In 2013 I was able to renew my MD license. I never had a NC license and never drove a car in NC in my life. I'm not sure when the PDPS first came into use. Maybe it was after 2013 (?). I found out about the PDPS problem when logging into the MD MVA. It said it was flagged and I couldn't do some things online. I contacted them and they told me about the problem in North Carolina with a suspension according to the PDPS. At the MD MVA someone told me to pay the NC fine and restoration fees. I called the number on the Granville letter and they told me how much the fine was and to pay it with a certified bank check or money order so I sent a bank certified check on October 10th for the amount of the fine with the case number on it as I was told to do. I contacted the NC DMV and had various conversations with some of them and I was assigned an analyst who contacted me on the 14th and told me to send a copy of my driver’s license, social security card and birth certificate which I did, but haven’t heard anything lately.

If I pay the fine and restoration fee would I get my driving privileges back? Would it clear from the PDPS automatically?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I understand that you probably paid the fine and restoration fee in order to facilitate renewal of your license with the least amount of trouble, but you should seek a refund once (and if) NC determines that you are not, in fact, responsible.

He used my name and someone at the the Maryland MVA told me to pay the fine and restoration fees. I haven't payed the restoration fees, yet.

Zigner

Your license expires in 14 months - you've got some time for NC to straighten this out.

quincy

He used my name and someone at the the Maryland MVA told me to pay the fine and restoration fees. I haven't payed the restoration fees, yet.
Yes. He used your name. But by paying the fine and restoration fee, you are essentially saying that you are guilty of his offense. I don’t think you should have taken advice from the Maryland MVA.

Zigner

Yes. He used your name. But by paying the fine and restoration fee, you are essentially saying that you are guilty of his offense. I don’t think you should have taken advice from the Maryland MVA.
The OP hasn't actually paid anything yet...

I am wrong - he paid the fine and not the resto. fees. In any case, he should let the system work...it's only been 2 days since he sent the info.

quincy

Was the person you talked to at the MVA an attorney?

It might be smart for you to get the identity theft cleared up now before you find yourself being arrested and charged with a crime committed by your former neighbor. I suggest you consult with an attorney in your area before paying.

quincy

Its been going on for almost 40 years. I have been trying to clear it up, but it won't go away until he is dead.
Forty years? Wow.

I think it is way past time that you see an attorney to address the identity theft. Your former neighbor should have been reported to the police long before now.

The Senator is unlikely to be able to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">