• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problem Roommate - Landlord Don't Care

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chelseas

CA

Thank you in advance. I won't be writing a novella so I'll TRY to keep this brief.

Us roommates:
We are 3. So that's a total of 4 people in the house including the problem roommate. I am the newest and still under 1-yr contract. All of my other roommates have been here for years and are now on a month-to-month due to longevity. Our landlord doesn't live here.

The problem roommate :
1. Has a long-term government financial assistance due to illness and because she's a native American Indian. She doesn't work and is self-proclaimed "lazy". (not sure if relevant to situation)
2. Heavy smoker, which actually contributes to the illness (not sure if relevant to situation). And we would see occasional cigarette butts left on the floor.
3. Drug user. (we have proof)
4. Steals from us or use our things without our permissions on many occasions. (we have proof)
5. Has the tendency for outbursts, e.g. yelling and cursing at one of my roommates outside her room for no apparent reason except being "high"
6. Knock things over or weird things happening due to being "high" e.g. we would hear a loud thud and a few minutes later we would discover that the huge chair has been left knocked down or coffee/food left spilt.
7. Tendency for mania, e.g. over-using kitchen to cook like mad just to overload the fridge that we all share and taking all of our space for all that food that are otherwise put to waste, over-cleaning of common areas while leaving her own room a smelly pigsty (we're not even kidding)
8. She shoves our things literally when she feels the need for more space. She's already taking up a lot of our allotted space. This behavior actually resulted to damages.
9. Using a lot of the cabinet spaces, even the cabinets that do not belong to her.
10. Everything that comes from her mouth are all of hatred towards everyone, spreading lies, derogatory, racist remarks e.g. she told me when I first came here that one of my roommates is schizophrenic and that she gets that vibe from a lot of Asians.
11. Now this is really where my blood curls, when she's "high" which is a lot or whatever, smoking outside, which is also a lot, on many occasions she would just leave our main door unlocked day or night. We have caught this many times!

Also, when I used to talk to her (nobody talks to her now), I can't even with the hysterics and the sudden changes of mood. We all know for a fact that she takes a cocktail of medz, besides the illegal drugs.

I've already complained, emailed and spoke on the phone with landlord. One of my current roommates also have reported similar situations before through email. Same roommate have written testimonies of 3 other previous tenants who left because of the problem roommate. These situations have all been reported and what did our landlord do? Nothing. Maybe talked to the problem roommate but obviously that didn't have any impact.

We absolutely cannot predict any other future behavior from this roommate that have the potential to harm us. All of us do not feel safe at all and we do not have the support of our landlord. Who do we turn to? What can we do? We already know that California is very tenant-friendly and that it's hard to kick out a tenant, but must we all bow to that?

Thanks again.

Last edited:

quincy

I agree with PayrollHRGuy. The crimes should be reported to the police.

Read your lease to see if there is a clause about illegal activity being automatic grounds for lease termination. It is a standard clause.

FarmerJ

illegal drug use call the police, if she is verbally abusive record her and if any of what she says can be treated as a hate crime then call the police again. if she damages property that's not hers call the police if she damages the LLs property call the police. ( learn if your LL is required to have a rental license from your city and learn if your city has limited the number of non related persons in one housing unit to be less than the current 4 of you ( in other words learn if your city set that limit to 3 or 4 ?

chelseas

thank you guys...we have so many new concerns with her especially now that she goes through stages for days where she is absolutely NOT HERSELF and we are experiencing that now. No help from LL here. And just a few minutes ago, i caught the door unlocked again after smoking at around 12:15AM. this is our immediate concern for now...please advise!

Last edited:

FarmerJ

until she either commits a crime, threatens one of you or actually commits self harm there isn't much you can do So in the time being learn if your LL has to have a rental license, learn if your city has set the number of people who can live in a rental to be 3 or what the cities magic number is to cause the LL to need a rooming house license. Learn if rentals are to be inspected by the city and learn if this rental has such a inspection record. ( why , well if the city says the LL cant rent the space out as the LL is now then you could use that as a reason to end your lease and move . AS to the other two who are month to month , maybe the three of you can find a new place to rent together.)

reenzz

thank you guys...we have so many new concerns with her especially now that she goes through stages for days where she is absolutely NOT HERSELF and we are experiencing that now. No help from LL here. And just a few minutes ago, i caught the door unlocked again after smoking at around 12:15AM. this is our immediate concern for now...please advise!
What do you expect the landlord to do?

In other words, it has nothing to do with the concerns expressed in the thread. Thanks.
That they have an annoying roommate and nobody is prepared to face her and tell her to stop, but instead came to this forum with the "We want her gone but we won't do anything ourselves"
Sorry Quincy, but if I was able I have always dealt with life's little problems by myself rather than expecting someone to do it for me.

quincy

That they have an annoying roommate and nobody is prepared to face her and tell her to stop, but instead came to this forum with the "We want her gone but we won't do anything ourselves"
Sorry Quincy, but if I was able I have always dealt with life's little problems by myself rather than expecting someone to do it for me.
You are saying that, if one of the roommates is male, he can go to the doctor and get a prescription. How does a male roommate's prescription help stop the problematic roommate from being problematic?

I seriously do not know what you are talking about.

If the problematic roommate is committing crimes, these crimes can be reported to the police. And the roommates can move when their leases are up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">