• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problem with a bank's customer service

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wjjackson

I live in New York, my dad was on the phone with a bank the other day after his card was charged for something he didn't buy (we suspected fraud). While on the phone with a customer service rep (who we were told was a manager), my dad was asked for certain account details that a bank typically wouldn't ask for. My dad thought it was a scam, so he refused to give the person on the line these details. The representative on the line got frustrated, threatened to rape my mom, and steal all my dad's money. My dad was planning on being forgiving and not taking any action, but it's been a few days since my dad told a different representative about the call, and he didn't receive an apology or anything. I'm curious if there is any legal action we could possibly take against the company, or the individual who threatened him. We have confirmed that this was not a scam, and this individual was an actual employee working for the company.

I'm not too experienced in legal stuff, so I'm not really sure if I'm posting this in the right forum, this one seemed to be the closest to what I was looking for.

PayrollHRGuy

Did your Dad call the bank or did the "bank" call him? If the bank called him it was almost certainly a scam. If he called the bank he needs to head down to a local office or call the main corporate number and discuss the issue.

Wjjackson

Did your Dad call the bank or did the "bank" call him? If the bank called him it was almost certainly a scam. If he called the bank he needs to head down to a local office or call the main corporate number and discuss the issue.
The bank called him, but the next day we called the bank and they confirmed that they had an outward call to his phone.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
However, do not expect to be told what, if any, action is taken by the bank about their employee.

commentator

"The representative on the line got frustrated, threatened to rape my mom, and steal all my dad's money. My dad was planning on being forgiving and not taking any action, but it's been a few days since my dad told a different representative about the call, and he didn't receive an apology or anything."

Really, the guy threatened to rape your mom, and steal all your dad's money, and your dad stayed on the line with him, and didn't immediately call the bank from another number and cancel the account, withdraw his funds, everything to get away from this? He should have sort have figured out by the time the call degenerated to this point that it was a scam, whether there was a bank line involved or not. I'm not at all sure this was a legitimate call from or to a bank.

Last edited:

quincy

... The representative on the line got frustrated, threatened to rape my mom, and steal all my dad's money. My dad was planning on being forgiving and not taking any action, but it's been a few days since my dad told a different representative about the call, and he didn't receive an apology or anything. I'm curious if there is any legal action we could possibly take against the company, or the individual who threatened him. We have confirmed that this was not a scam, and this individual was an actual employee working for the company.

I'm not too experienced in legal stuff, so I'm not really sure if I'm posting this in the right forum, this one seemed to be the closest to what I was looking for.
This goes way beyond bad customer service reportable to the bank and its corporate office. The "bank representative" communicated criminal threats that can be reported to the police for investigation.

In other words, this is not just an internal matter for the bank to address.

But I agree with the others that your dad should immediately change banks.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
The bank called him, but the next day we called the bank and they confirmed that they had an outward call to his phone.
When you called the bank back, did you call the number that showed up on your caller id, or did you look the number up on the bank's website or from a statement?

Whenever I call my bank I always get the automated run around and the warning that the conversation will be recorded. See if you bank has a copy of the recording.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
At least IMO, your father needs to:

Change banks
Tell Corporate exactly why, in writing
Make a complaint, in person if possible, to the manager of the branch bank where the rep is located or, if not possible, to the nearest branch bank
Make a police report just to have it on record

But as I said above, do not expect to be told what action is taken against the rep, if any.

Don't get me wrong. I work in a Customer Service position and what the rep did is appalling. It's so bad I'm having trouble believing it happened the way you say, but if it did, the rep needs to be fired and any prospective employers told exactly why so that he never gets another CSR job as long as he lives. (Yes, that is too legal, despite what you may have seen or heard elsewhere.) But the bank should not and most likely will not make their discipline public.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">