• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problem with co worker

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeronicaLodge

Yes, my wife and I are two separate people, but we function as ONE unit ... meaning if we go on vacation, we go as ONE unit. We make decisions as ONE unit. When I made the arrangements with my co-worker, it was very clear to him that my wife and I were going on vacation as ONE unit.

I never said the hotel gave me a credit for anything. What I said was that the total bill for the trip was $1800. Our employer will reimburse $400 for the hotel room. That leaves$350 for the rental car and $1050 for the hotel room. There's no credit from the hotel anywhere in there. I don't know where you got that from.

Anyways, I am NOT harassing my co-worker. I broached him ONE time, to talk about the money. Money he still hasn't given me. And because he offered us a check, my wife went to his house to collect it. So she wasn't harassing him either. It's not our fault he flipped out about it and took everything to the next level.

I still don't see how my job is in jeopardy here.

As of right now, I have received my reimbursement from my employer. They have refused to reimburse for the rental car.

So I sent my co-worker this email:

"Dear XXX -

Our employer has finally reimbursed me the $400 for the hotel room; however, they have denied reimbursement for the rental car. Per our agreement, you said you were split the cost of the car if our employer won't reimburse for it.

If you have any ethics, you'll pay what you owe and what you promised. As of right now, I am footing the entire bill for your trip.

I will take cash or check. You can give it to me at work.

Remember, the breakdown is as follows:

1/2 hotel costs: $525
1/2 rental car: $175

for a total of: $700.

Thank you.

XXX"

And he wrote back:

"XXX,

If you provide me an address, I will mail you a certified letter, containing a check, covering my portion of the hotel bill, which is $350. By paying $350 - 1/3 the cost of the hotel bill - I am still partially covering your wife's trip.

If you want me to pay you for part of the rental car (1/3, which would be $117), then I'll need to see documented proof that our employer denied reimbursement. If you can provide that, then I'll honor my promise to pay in on the rental car; otherwise, I'm not giving you anything.

I will not give you cash or a check at work. In fact, I will not discuss this at work with you anymore. Do not talk to me about this situation in any form or fashion at the office.

In fact, it would be better if you just did not speak to me at all, except in regards to work related matters.

If you still find this unacceptable, then you are free to contact my legal counsel, Mr. [name blanked out] at XXX-XXX-XXXX.

Thank you.

XXX."

What an a-hole, getting lawyers involved.

And he's still trying to rip me off, even though I knocked $200 off the amount he owes.
when you and your wife go on vacation do you get to fly for the price of one? do you get to eat for the price of one? to you gain entry into exhibits and entertainment venues for the price of one?

ImtheNicest

We function as ONE unit when there are other people involved. If we went out to eat with a third person, then my wife and I would be ONE and we would SPLIT the bill in HALF with the other 3rd person. We've always done things this way and never had a problem.

The charges that got reduced from the hotel were the room service fees and movie rentals and in room massage. It was not a break in the room price. I think that my co-worker should have to still pay his agreed on amount.

And I"m transferring to a different department, so I'm in no danger of losing my job.

I called my co-workers "legal counsel" - funnily enough there was no answer and I had to leave a message. I'm still waiting on a return call. I think the whole lawyer thing was just to scare me.

I WILL get my money, one way or another, especially now that I've knocked $200 off the total he agreed to pay.

It's too bad none of you can see the logic here and have to resort to being rude and ugly. I imagine you all do the same thing to others - rip them off whenever you have the chance.

CourtClerk

We function as ONE unit when there are other people involved. If we went out to eat with a third person, then my wife and I would be ONE and we would SPLIT the bill in HALF with the other 3rd person. We've always done things this way and never had a problem.
Let me see if I understand you correctly...

If you, your wife and a third party went to dinner one night to a restaurant that had a prix fixe menu, which fed you guys at $20 per person ($60 total), then are you saying that you and your wife would pay $30 and the third party would pay $30? Or are you and your wife eating off of one plate and only paying for one meal between the two of you?

Other than that, I can't see how you think it would be fair for the third party to pay 150% of the cost of his meal, while you only pay 50% of yours.

seniorjudge

The charges that got reduced from the hotel were the room service fees and movie rentals and in room massage. It was not a break in the room price. I think that my co-worker should have to still pay his agreed on amount.

And I"m transferring to a different department, so I'm in no danger of losing my job.

I called my co-workers "legal counsel" - funnily enough there was no answer and I had to leave a message. I'm still waiting on a return call. I think the whole lawyer thing was just to scare me.

I WILL get my money, one way or another, especially now that I've knocked $200 off the total he agreed to pay.

It's too bad none of you can see the logic here and have to resort to being rude and ugly. I imagine you all do the same thing to others - rip them off whenever you have the chance.

Okay, where is the logic in that!?

CourtClerk

In any event, I think the only thing you can do is take the issue to small claims court and post back with the results.

Make sure that when you come back and post, you've scanned a copy of the judgment or minute order (last names blacked out of course) so that we can see for ourselves if you actually want us to believe you won.

ImtheNicest

What do I want?

Duh - I want my money. I want the $700 my co-worker AGREED to pay prior to taking the trip.

What am I willing to give up?

Being this idiot's "friend." The time and effort it will take to collect the money. Otherwise, I don't think I should have to give anything up.

Yes, if I went out to eat with my wife and someone else, and each of our meals was $20, making the total $60 - we would pay $30 and expect the other person to pay $30. We've ALWAYS done things this way and NEVER had a problem. NEVER. Not until now.

I am intending to go to small claim's court, unless I hear back from co-worker's "legal counsel." If I do, perhaps we can work out a payment plan or something.

Also, we're very selective in who we choose to go out with and spend time with. We ONLY hang out with those that accept us as ONE unit. My wife and I have ALWAYS been one - we do EVERYTHING together. We NEVER go on vacation separately or go out to eat separately or anything like that. We ALWAYS have to talk or touch, especially at night, or we can't sleep. So we CAN'T be apart for a "work" trip. Everyone else we hang out with accepts this, just as we treat other couples as if they are one. If we go out with another couple, we'll split the bill, recognizing that they are ONE just like us.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Yes, if I went out to eat with my wife and someone else, and each of our meals was $20, making the total $60 - we would pay $30 and expect the other person to pay $30. We've ALWAYS done things this way and NEVER had a problem. NEVER. Not until now.

If the judge has had first grade math, don't try this "logic" since it will not work.

TNBSMommy

That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard!!! I bet you LOVE to out to eat with one other person, don't you!

Also, we're very selective in who we choose to go out with and spend time with.
I'm guessing you are selective in who you "spend time with" b/c you can have to find people who aren't bright enough to realize they are being taken advantage of by hanging out with your "unit"....

k, done ranting, going back to lurking now.

swrdmbo

There is no way this guy is for real!! NO-ONE is that dense/stupid!

The only way it would be fair to pay 1/2 of a dinner bill when THREE people are dining is if your ONE UNIT (how asinine) shares ONE MEAL!

That's another reason I think this thread is BS....how many people are going to dine with this UNIT more than once,since THEY have been taken advantage of by paying for 1/2 of the 1/2 unit's dinners?

Too absurd to be true.

If by any chance you are serious please do EVERYBODY a favor and limit YOUR UNITS contact with normal people.You are a moocher/sponger and that ONE UNIT routine is just your cheap azz way to get other people to pay YOUR way! Nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">