• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problem with employee discount

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cwinters90

I work at a major imports store that operates all throughout the nation. In the employee handbook that I recieved upon employment, It stated "and employee may use the [employee] discount to purchase regular priced, sale priced, clearance priced, and shopworn/damaged goods" Shopworn/damaged goods are goods dicsounted due to damage or being a floor-model. I purchased a couch that was $500, marked down 25% because of being "shopworn", bringing it to $374.98. I then was rung out by a manager, which is protocol, and used my employee discount (an additional 25%). Later that night, I got a phone call from the store manager saying this was not allowed, you could not use both discounts. After much arguing, I brought up the statement in the employee handbook. I was told the policies had changed, although there was no way for me to access the new policy and I was not notified of such change. They now want me to return the couch which is already in my possesion, or pay back 25% for the discount I wasn't supposed to use. Do i have to return/pay back the 25% or was I right in refusing to do so?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I work at a major imports store that operates all throughout the nation. In the employee handbook that I recieved upon employment, It stated "and employee may use the [employee] discount to purchase regular priced, sale priced, clearance priced, and shopworn/damaged goods" Shopworn/damaged goods are goods dicsounted due to damage or being a floor-model. I purchased a couch that was $500, marked down 25% because of being "shopworn", bringing it to $374.98. I then was rung out by a manager, which is protocol, and used my employee discount (an additional 25%). Later that night, I got a phone call from the store manager saying this was not allowed, you could not use both discounts. After much arguing, I brought up the statement in the employee handbook. I was told the policies had changed, although there was no way for me to access the new policy and I was not notified of such change. They now want me to return the couch which is already in my possesion, or pay back 25% for the discount I wasn't supposed to use. Do i have to return/pay back the 25% or was I right in refusing to do so?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Is your job worth $93.75 to you? :rolleyes:

Beth3

They don't have to offer an employee discount at all. I also expect your employeee handbook states that management has the right to discontinue, change, amend, disregard, or cancel the policies described therein at any time, with or without advance notice.

I think your employer should probably just let this go, particularly since a manager rung up your sale, but it doesn't appear they're going to. As Zigner so aptly put it, is your job worth $93.75 to you?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I have yet to see any kind of store, any kind of discount (employee or otherwise) or any kind of benefit, where you could use two different discounts at the same time.

cwinters90

They don't have to offer an employee discount at all. I also expect your employeee handbook states that management has the right to discontinue, change, amend, disregard, or cancel the policies described therein at any time, with or without advance notice.

I think your employer should probably just let this go, particularly since a manager rung up your sale, but it doesn't appear they're going to. As Zigner so aptly put it, is your job worth $93.75 to you?

Well as a matter of fact, there is no statement anywhere saying they reserve the right to amend, change, etc. without notice. And techinically they couldn't fire me as I personally did nothing wrong.:p

mommyof4

And techinically they couldn't fire me as I personally did nothing wrong
You could be the Blessed Mother Mary and they could fire you as long as you were not fired for a reason protected by law.

The ability to use an employee discount is NOT protected by law.

pattytx

"Technically" you can be fired if they don't like that you wear yellow socks, even though the employee handbook is silent on the issue of yellow socks.

Google "at-will employment".

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And techinically they couldn't fire me as I personally did nothing wrong.

You have that in writing somewhere, do you? Maybe in a contract? Because if you don't, unless you are in Montana (and not always there) there is NOTHING in the law to support that statement.

Tallrat

I have yet to see any kind of store, any kind of discount (employee or otherwise) or any kind of benefit, where you could use two different discounts at the same time.
Wife does at JCPennys. We get grand kids cloths then :D

Country Living

You’re arguing with the store manager and you continue to have a self-righteous “I did nothing wrong” attitude. Put yourself in management’s position - would you want this kind of person as an employee? I suspect there are at least 50 people waiting to have your job and they would appreciate the regular paycheck with benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">