• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problem with Sick Time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Terik

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I was told by supervisor and Human Resources that I can not use my earned sick time for about a year. My year expires sometime around July 2007. I believe that HR is using a policy out of context. Is my employer committing a violation? Or do I just grin and bear it?

In 2006, I used a lot of sick time in the space of 3 months and at somewhat regular intervals. Most of the sick time was spent seeing a therapist regarding work related stress due to a different issue that also involved HR. I supplied notes from my visits when I was asked to do so. All of the sick time was scheduled and approved in advance by my supervisor.

Later, I complained (a 2nd time) about receiving offensive e-mails. Then, the next time I requested sick time I was told that I could not. (I believe action had to be taken to resolve my complaint, and that my supervisor decided to use the sick time issue to get back at me.) I was given the option of using medical leave, or getting 'written up', or not taking any time off, or taking vacation. This was done in a meeting involving my supervisor, my manager, and HR.

Recently, I asked for clarification so I could know when I could use my earned sick time again. (I have been with the company 5 years and have about 2 weeks sick time.) My supervisor gave me a copy of a policy from the Human Resources Management Guide. In a chapter about Employee Conduct there were several paragraphs regarding 'Corrective Action for Excessive Absenteeism/Tardiness'. The following paragraph was highlighted: "It is recommended that a discussion between the supervisor and employee take place no later than the third or fourth instance of absence/tardiness within a rolling 12-month period." Another paragraph defines unacceptable attendance (but not limited to): "Incurring instances of absence/tardiness in an accelerated fashion over a short period of time."

I can understand if an employee had several unplanned absences, but all of my sick time was approved in advance! Another employee was tardy a few minutes on 10 different occasions within a month period. As far as I know, the only action taken was a reminder to all employees to arrive and leave on time. This supervisor has been accused of favoritism in the past, and HR is known as being in the 'back pocket' of management.What is the name of your state?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There are no laws that address how an employer must handle sick time. It's up to the employer.

Terik

Thanks for the reply.

I want to be sure I understand my rights versus the rights of my employer.

If I need to call in sick, then my supervisor has the right to write me up or fire me due to excessive absenteeism. Even if all of my past time was approved in advance by the same supervisor.
I have no rights in this matter.

mlane58

Thanks for the reply.

I want to be sure I understand my rights versus the rights of my employer.

If I need to call in sick, then my supervisor has the right to write me up or fire me due to excessive absenteeism. Even if all of my past time was approved in advance by the same supervisor.
I have no rights in this matter.
You understand correctly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">