• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problems with Direct TV

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boop4589

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama
I recently subscribed to direct tv (with-in the last 90 days). I was told that local channels were available in my area. From day #1 I have had issues, channels blacking out for 10 to 30 seconds, sound not matching lip movement, white lines traveling from the bottom of the screen to the top like a VCR tape that is off track. I have contacted DTV several times and have been given multiple reasons why this might happen; "locals are not available in your area", "its a network problem not DTV they will send in a work order to correct the problem", ect. Finally, I got fed up and said that I wanted to cancel my service. The customer service representative said that I needed to have a technition come out and make sure that the problem is not with my equiptment and they scheduled me an appointment for 18 November 2008. The technition went through all of my equiptment and connections and stated that it was a DTV satelite issue and that there was nothing he could do to repair it. I want to cancel my service but they are requesting cancellation in writing, and state that it could take up to 21 days to recieve an approval or disapproval to cancel without an early cancellation fee. They have not held up their end of the contract from day one and I am still not getting the service that I am paying for. What should I do?

Nativity

It's going to get ugly. If you haven't done so yet you should make sure you don't have "auto pay" set up online. If they don't accept your cancellation letter they will charge a early cancellation fee. Their terms of service agreement says it will be a $195 fee but I have yet to see one that low most are between $300-$700. They will also take it out without asking first.

You should try calling 1-800-531-5000 and ask to speak to a DirecTV Customer service supervisor, keep calling if you have to.

You may want to give these sites a look over.

Business Profile for DirecTV, Inc.

Business Report

Ripoff Report Search Results: directv

Especially this one:
http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/features/media-communications-telecom-companies-2.html

Last edited:

RogerC

Perhaps sharing my experience with Direct TV will help...

The short version; I had a problem with my service. After a couple months of attempting to get the problem fixed without success, I stopped paying. (DirectTV failed to respond to multiple requests I made to them to have the problem fixed). After several months of non-payment they contacted me (go figure). Regardless of the fact that my service was not working at all, (they confirmed and agreed that it wasn't) they said I owed them $370 for the past months of non-payment.

After many months of dealing with them on the issue, I filed a BBB complaint. (At the time they had one of the highest number of BBB complaints. I think it was around 5000). They eventually responded to my BBB complaint by dropping the $370 charge and refunding me for the two months I had payed them for before I stopped paying them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">