• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problems with landlord in mobile home park in Utah

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

julz66911

We've lived in our home for 12 years now. A couple of years ago the park was sold to someone who lives in another state and ever since we've had nothing but problems. The new owner sold a home to a woman right across the street from us and she has 2 dogs that bark all the time. She leaves very early in the morning and is gone all day long and the 2 little dogs go in and out of a doggy door and bark at everything and nothing. It is so disruptive we can't go anywhere in our house to get away from the noise. It wakes us up every morning and continues throughout the day until she gets home. We have complained to the landlord, we've called animal control and the police multiple times, however nothing has been done. This has gone on for over a year now and is very disruptive. If we had the money we would just move but we live in a mobile home so obviously we do not have a lot of money due to our circumstances. My question is, what rights do we have? We own our home but rent the space it is on. Can we withhold rent until something is done? I've talked to a couple of lawyers who said they think we have a case but they want a lot of money just to research it first. This just doesn't seem fair that someone can come along and completely disrupt our lives and we can't do a damn thing about it because we don't have the money to fight it. There had to be SOMETHING we can do but I don't know what that is.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If animal control and the police have found nothing wrong, then there's not much you can do about it. You may want to get replacement windows that do a better job at blocking out noise and earplugs for when you sleep. Don't withhold rent, or you may find yourself ousted from the park.

Just Blue

We've lived in our home for 12 years now. A couple of years ago the park was sold to someone who lives in another state and ever since we've had nothing but problems. The new owner sold a home to a woman right across the street from us and she has 2 dogs that bark all the time. She leaves very early in the morning and is gone all day long and the 2 little dogs go in and out of a doggy door and bark at everything and nothing. It is so disruptive we can't go anywhere in our house to get away from the noise. It wakes us up every morning and continues throughout the day until she gets home. We have complained to the landlord, we've called animal control and the police multiple times, however nothing has been done. This has gone on for over a year now and is very disruptive. If we had the money we would just move but we live in a mobile home so obviously we do not have a lot of money due to our circumstances. My question is, what rights do we have? We own our home but rent the space it is on. Can we withhold rent until something is done? I've talked to a couple of lawyers who said they think we have a case but they want a lot of money just to research it first. This just doesn't seem fair that someone can come along and completely disrupt our lives and we can't do a damn thing about it because we don't have the money to fight it. There had to be SOMETHING we can do but I don't know what that is.
Have you tried to CALMLY and POLITELY speak with the woman about her dogs?

BTW: The dogs might be missing their owner and are being very verbal in their displeasure.

julz66911

Have you tried to CALMLY and POLITELY speak with the woman about her dogs?

BTW: The dogs might be missing their owner and are being very verbal in their displeasure.
Yes, we did speak to her over a year ago but nothing ever came of it. Now I'm so mad I can't be calm or polite anymore. I find it hard to believe there is nothing we can do unless we have money to fight this or move.

julz66911

If animal control and the police have found nothing wrong, then there's not much you can do about it. You may want to get replacement windows that do a better job at blocking out noise and earplugs for when you sleep. Don't withhold rent, or you may find yourself ousted from the park.
Windows are expensive, we've replaced many of them in our home over the years but we have medical bills and other obligations that need to be taken care of first.

bcr229

She leaves very early in the morning and is gone all day long and the 2 little dogs go in and out of a doggy door and bark at everything and nothing. It is so disruptive we can't go anywhere in our house to get away from the noise. It wakes us up every morning and continues throughout the day until she gets home.
Find out if your county has a "quiet hours" ordinance and if the dogs are outside barking before that time. If so figure out what you need to do to file a noise complaint.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Find out if your county has a "quiet hours" ordinance and if the dogs are outside barking before that time. If so figure out what you need to do to file a noise complaint.
The OP has had the police out there many times with no action taken.

bcr229

The OP has had the police out there many times with no action taken.
We don't know though that the authorities responded during quiet hours, or even if the cops are tasked with enforcing the noise ordinance. In some jurisdictions that could be handled by code enforcement or another county agency, though if that were the case the cops should have explained who to contact to the OP. It would help if we knew the OP's state and county or city.

Unfortunately for the OP a barking dog issue is going to be a very low priority call, so even if the cops were the correct agency to handle it, they may not even respond during quiet hours.

Gail in Georgia

"Can we withhold rent until something is done?"

Your state allows a tenant to withhold rent for serious repair issues not addressed in a timely manner; things such as no heat or water. Unfortunately barking dogs do not fit in this category.

If you withhold rent you face the risk of an eviction because of this.

Gail

FarmerJ

SO take some time to do research, if you live in a city you want to know what its disturbing the peace laws are as well as barking dog laws ( call your city) if you are in a rural county then check with your county zoning dept to learn if their is a law addressing it , then once you know you can decide how to proceed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">