• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

problems with state agency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beth_parr

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Mi

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question, if it isn't please let me know were to post it.

I am the stepmom to a 5yr old, we are curently in a custody fight.

When the child was in foster care for neglect in 2002 we were never notified. the child was living in colorado with his mom at the time against a court order and we had no idea were she even was just that she was in the denver area, the courts here in Michigan couldn't get an exact address for her either.
anyways we just found out about the foster care thing this past summer when protective services had gotten involved again with mom on a different matter(mom was driving stolen car with child in the back seat). we contacted the CO protective services and spoke with his case worker. We asked why we were never notified of the child being in foster care and she said because the mom had told us she didn't know were dad was and they couldn't find him either.
the funny thing is at the exact same time this whole foster care thing was going on,(it lasted a few months) we were in and out of court getting a order demanding the return of the child to the state of MI which was granted and mom was given 21 days to return him. which of course she didn't.
Also the CS case had been open since 2001 and our address and phone number had never changed. Oh and there is only 2 people in the entire united states with dads name. him and his dad. both are easy to find and come up on any phone number search.
we did receive a bill from the state of colorado a few years ago. when we had called about it we were told it was for medicade. We now know it's a bill from him being in foster care. It's funny they could find us to bill us but couldn't find us to let us know he was being neglected.
I really think this is all a bunch of BS. We have the reports from CO and dads name is on there so it isn't like they didn't know his name and it would of been very easy to find him, if they really had tried to. Do we have any type recourse for this irresponsibility? I really feel like we should be able to file a grevience or lawsuit or something. anyone know if we can do anything. Especially since the child is back in the system, (obviousley they gave him back to a unfit mother and thus caused more trauma to the child, when they could of notified us back in 2002 and the child would of never been thru all the crap he has been thru with his mom).

thanks,
beth

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">