• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Process of collections

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?Texas -

Does a company have to notify you before they send you to collections?

I called a service company in the end of Sept and explained that I had accidentally sent the payment to the wrong address and asked if they would send me a statement so I could send the correct amount with any late fees. I received a statement a few days later.

About a week later, I sent an Automatic Bill Payment through my bank online. Since this is a small company, it takes 5 days for the company to receive payment from my bank, but I prefer this method because its guaranteed. (No lost checks in the mail) I also called the company and told them that I put a check in the mail and they would have it in a few days.

I just received a letter from a collection agency that is dated the same date that I sent the payment out. I checked online and my check has been received by the service company. I've already left them a message requesting they contact the collection agency immediately to say they've received payment.

I do not want this on my credit! I've worked very hard the last 3 years to clean up my credit report and its finally starting to look good! If it is legal for them to send me to collections without notifying me, is there any way that I can prevent this from showing up on my credit?

I appreciate any responses. Thank you!

seniorjudge

TatumEstes said:
What is the name of your state?Texas -

Does a company have to notify you before they send you to collections?

I called a service company in the end of Sept and explained that I had accidentally sent the payment to the wrong address and asked if they would send me a statement so I could send the correct amount with any late fees. I received a statement a few days later.

About a week later, I sent an Automatic Bill Payment through my bank online. Since this is a small company, it takes 5 days for the company to receive payment from my bank, but I prefer this method because its guaranteed. (No lost checks in the mail) I also called the company and told them that I put a check in the mail and they would have it in a few days.

I just received a letter from a collection agency that is dated the same date that I sent the payment out. I checked online and my check has been received by the service company. I've already left them a message requesting they contact the collection agency immediately to say they've received payment.

I do not want this on my credit! I've worked very hard the last 3 years to clean up my credit report and its finally starting to look good! If it is legal for them to send me to collections without notifying me, is there any way that I can prevent this from showing up on my credit?

I appreciate any responses. Thank you!

Q: Does a company have to notify you before they send you to collections?

A: No.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">