• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Process to change last name to husband's last name after marriage in USA ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snegup

What is the name of your state? MN
Hi
I am currently on H4 and my husband is on H1-B. His Green Card is in process and his I-140 is approved and we are waiting for the priority date to become current.
I haven't changed my last name on my Passport and Visa to my husband's after marriage.I also have a Taxpayer ID( no SSN) with the same name as in my passport and H4 Visa.
I am planning to change my last name to my husband's last name here in US.
Is there anything that I should be concerned about?
Also what is the process to get it done?

FlyingRon

The official who performs the marriage after everybody signs (the couple, the witnesses, the officiant), returns it to the county license department. At this point it's recorded as the official marriage certificate. Get a half a dozen "true copies" of this from that office. You will need to show these (and in some cases leave a copy) with the various people as Zig notices.

It's been 20 years since my wife and I was married and we still had to show one the other day to get her pension started (since she worked under her prior name).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">