• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Process to evict someone listed on an apartment lease as a "resident",

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Midwest1

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I have signed a lease for an apartment in Colorado and I have a family member living with me. I was the only one to sign the lease and the lease is only in my name. The person who lives with me is only listed as a "resident living in the resident" on the apartment lease but they did not sign anything including the lease.

This person has become highly unstable and increasingly physically aggressive when she erupts into anger very quickly and many times without any apparent reason. I believe she is in the initial stages of dementia and has many of the classic symptoms (confusion, forgetfulness, personal hygiene issues, and physically aggressive).

My question is: How do I evict someone listed as only a resident of the lease? How long does it generally take and does the fact that they are mentally unstable and increasingly physically violent necessitate any special procedures or actions?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? Colorado

I have signed a lease for an apartment in Colorado and I have a family member living with me. I was the only one to sign the lease and the lease is only in my name. The person who lives with me is only listed as a "resident living in the resident" on the apartment lease but they did not sign anything including the lease.

This person has become highly unstable and increasingly physically aggressive when she erupts into anger very quickly and many times without any apparent reason. I believe she is in the initial stages of dementia and has many of the classic symptoms (confusion, forgetfulness, personal hygiene issues, and physically aggressive).

My question is: How do I evict someone listed as only a resident of the lease? How long does it generally take and does the fact that they are mentally unstable and increasingly physically violent necessitate any special procedures or actions?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Why don't you try to get her some help or see about her moving into assisted living or something than just evicting her. Especially since they are a family member. Depending on the exact situation, you could find yourself having legal issues with elder abuse or neglect.

Midwest1

Why don't you try to get her some help or see about her moving into assisted living or something than just evicting her. Especially since they are family members. Depending on the exact situation, you could find yourself having legal issues with elder abuse or neglect.
Thank you for your response. I did try to get her mental health help. Last August she had an intense meltdown and called the police in an attempt to get me in trouble. The police could not understand what she wanted because she was almost uncontrollable and jumped from random topic to topic. She would talk about things from decades ago that were completely unrelated to what she was attempting to tell them about. It was unhinged ranting and venting. The police officers were at a loss in what to do for her since she was mostly unresponsive to their questions. The officers gave me contact info for the mental health department they work with. I immediately called them and they informed me they can only assist her if she goes voluntarily. This person would NEVER do that and completely refused. I have tried for years to get to at least ask her primary care Phyician for advice on her depression and anger. She has always refused that as well.

My fear is that she has gotten so much worse that I have no idea what she will do physically when she goes into an instant rage. She has become a vastly different person and I do fear her anger and I have no idea how much worse it will get but the situation is not sustainable or workable, at least with her living with me.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Start filing police reports and keep a log of these incidents.

If you can't get her the help she needs, you may just have to help yourself only and get a restraining order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">