• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

process to terminate parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

Yes, there is a way this could be denied. If he doesn’t meet the abandonment requirements the court should not terminate his parental rights. Like I said, the state and courts take removing a person’s parental rights very seriously. If they do anything less, the parent has an a right to appeal any negative action taken.

And I have to make a correction to a prior poster;

It isn’t the lack of contact that is of concern but abandonment, both physically and financially that is what is required.

LdiJ

Yes, there is a way this could be denied. If he doesn’t meet the abandonment requirements the court should not terminate his parental rights. Like I said, the state and courts take removing a person’s parental rights very seriously. If they do anything less, the parent has an a right to appeal any negative action taken.

And I have to make a correction to a prior poster;

It isn’t the lack of contact that is of concern but abandonment, both physically and financially that is what is required
However, lack of contact is at least partially how you define abandonment so I am not sure how you can define abandonment without including lack of contact.

justalayman

However, lack of contact is at least partially how you define abandonment so I am not sure how you can define abandonment without including lack of contact.
I didn’t exclude contact. I differentiated between only lack of contact, while continuing financial support, compared to the lack of both financial and physical (contact) support.

Lack of contact itself is not abandonment if financial support continues. Lack of financial support if personal contact is maintained is not abandonment.

It takes both for abandonment to occur.

LdiJ

I didn’t exclude contact. I differentiated between only lack of contact, while continuing financial support, compared to the lack of both financial and physical (contact) support.

Lack of contact itself is not abandonment if financial support continues. Lack of financial support if personal contact is maintained is not abandonment.

Okay, that I can agree upon.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

And, by "lack of financial support" you basically mean NO support; if the dude is tossing $100 Mom's way a few times a year, then he has not abandoned his child, legally, even if he's well in arrears.

It also means that he might suddenly get re-interested in the child if Mom pushes for a stepparent adoption.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">