• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

process

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just Blue

Please stop starting a new thread for every question you have regarding starting/running a business.

ETA: I see you went and deleted your original thread.

skysky36

Are Bylaws filed with the secretary of state or is that internal documents kept by the corporation at its principal/ registered office? I would think they would be filed to the secretary in order to afford public notice of their contents. I have researched and found both yes and no.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Are Bylaws filed with the secretary of state or is that internal documents kept by the corporation at its principal/ registered office? I would think they would be filed to the secretary in order to afford public notice of their contents. I have researched and found both yes and no.
It depends on the state, but in most states the by-laws are not recorded with the state. They are instead simply internal documents. Unless a corporation is publicly traded or is tax exempt (e.g. a charity) there is very little about the corporate governance that must be publicly disclosed.

It would help to know why you are asking the question and specifically which state is involved.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
In what state do you intend to create a corporation?

skysky36

It depends on the state, but in most states the by-laws are not recorded with the state. They are instead simply internal documents. Unless a corporation is publicly traded or is tax exempt (e.g. a charity) there is very little about the corporate governance that must be publicly disclosed.

It would help to know why you are asking the question and specifically which state is involved.
Thank you this answered my question, and this is more for research purposes prior to creating a corporation.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Thank you this answered my question, and this is more for research purposes prior to creating a corporation.
Ok, then understand something important. For most small closely held corporations it does not make sense to organize it in a state other than a state in which it will actually conduct business. So, if you are going to start with doing business in just your home state, for example, it would normally be best to organize it in that state. Also, given careful consideration to whether you really want a corporation rather than, say, a LLC. The latter may be more advantageous tax wise at the start.

quincy

If you are not starting your business in your home state than it can give you problems with taxations and all. But the laws are all similar so you can do it easily but you have to go through all the laws and each and every point of pros and cons of the documents.
Yes. Knowing the laws that apply is important.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">