• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Product based on extending other websites

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sarneeh

Hello there!

I'm coming with a problem which i don't really know how to solve. I'd like to create a product which will be a Chrome Browser Extension, which will extend functionalities of, let's say for example - YouTube. It will be monetized with a subscription model - you'll have to pay per month usage of the software. The problem is - I don't know if it's totally right with the law to create a product based on some other company product. Are there any regulations which prohibit these kind of practices? I see companies do things like that but I still don't know if they are doing it legal.

I'd really appreciate any kind of information and suggestions!

Have a nice day!

Last edited by a moderator:

quincy

Hello there!

I'm coming with a problem which i don't really know how to solve. I'd like to create a product which will be a Chrome Browser Extension, which will extend functionalities of, let's say for example - YouTube. It will be monetized with a subscription model - you'll have to pay per month usage of the software. The problem is - I don't know if it's totally right with the law to create a product based on some other company product. Are there any regulations which prohibit these kind of practices? I see companies do things like that but I still don't know if they are doing it legal.

I'd really appreciate any kind of information and suggestions!

Have a nice day!
Are you located in the US? If so, in what state do you reside?

It is possible to build a new product based on another product, but you (generally) will need to license the use of the original in order to market your new product.

Last edited by a moderator:

sarneeh

Are you located in the US? If so, in what state do you reside?

It is possible to build a new product based on another product, but you (generally) will need to license the use of the original in order to market your new product.
I'm not located in the US. I'm sorry - I forgot to answer this question in the beginning. Anyways, I guess it's not a case because even if I'm outside of US, when I'm bringing my product to the US market I under the law of US, am I right?

Thank you for the answer. To understand everything clearly, could you expand what stands behind "license the use of the original"? Could you describe some real-life examples?

quincy

I'm not located in the US. I'm sorry - I forgot to answer this question in the beginning. Anyways, I guess it's not a case because even if I'm outside of US, when I'm bringing my product to the US market I under the law of US, am I right?

Thank you for the answer. To understand everything clearly, could you expand what stands behind "license the use of the original"? Could you describe some real-life examples?
In what country do you reside?

I think I misunderstood your original question. You can try the following link to the Chrome Web Store's frequently asked questions where I believe you will find the answers you are seeking:

https://developer.chrome.com/webstore/faq#faq-dev-01

Good luck.

sarneeh

In what country do you reside?

I think I misunderstood your original question. You can try the following link to the Chrome Web Store's frequently asked questions where I believe you will find the answers you are seeking:

https://developer.chrome.com/webstore/faq#faq-dev-01

Good luck.
I reside in Poland.

I'm sorry if I'm not clear enough - my communication skills are not the best :) What I want to know is if - for example - I create a extension which extends the functionalities of the YouTube website, does YouTube have anything to do with it? Do I need any permission from them to actually sell a product that extends their website?

justalayman

Your app would have to comply with the TOS and any applicable EULA for the web services you are extending.

quincy

I reside in Poland.

I'm sorry if I'm not clear enough - my communication skills are not the best :) What I want to know is if - for example - I create a extension which extends the functionalities of the YouTube website, does YouTube have anything to do with it? Do I need any permission from them to actually sell a product that extends their website?
Your communication skills are fine, sarneeh. My comprehension skills might need some work. :)

Thank you for providing the name of your country.

You should explore the link I provided and read its information to get a better idea of what you need to do to create an app that is marketable in the US. For one example, you must be careful how you handle others' trademarks in your marketing (look to the link for information on branding).

I suggest you locate a professional in Poland for a personal review of your plan, to start you off on the right track. You do not want to go to the time and trouble of developing an app that winds up being removed because it violates policies or, worse, violates laws.

Good luck.

sarneeh

Thank you very much guys! I'll read the ToS carefully and try to contact a professional to talk about it. Thank you :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">