• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Professional Career Certification Non Written Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eglentrpnr

What is the name of your state? California. I entered into a verbal contract with an instructor/certification administrator on the basis that I paid her a lot of money up front and then she agreed to accept payments after that until it was paid off. I bought more than one course from her and the main one that I completed, she asked me if I wanted a certificate or an renewable endorsement. I only wanted the permanent certificate and nothing that had to be renewed as I'm on SS disability as single head of household. She sent me an expired endorsement certificate anyways then contacted me with an apology explaining that she would issue an up to date one. But again, she sent the endorsement not the certificate. I felt like I had to walk on eggs around her anyways as she seemed very hot headed and kinda shady. Anyways, the bank accidentally sent another payment before I was able to cancel all the auto payments as my obligations were paid. I called the bank as it had just happened that day ( in 2018), they said it was too late that they had already sent the check but I could contact the receiver and just ask them not to cash it. The problem is, she never saw my email. So she cashed it then got mad at me because it was stopped payment. Then I told her that the other course I bought from her the CD didn't play so she just refunded that by taking it off the balance. I was busy with my life & health license (my 1st professional career) so I just focused on that. I finally earned some money in the insurance industry (Less than $2000) in late 2019 so in Jan. 2020 I tried to renew my certification by sending her $25 late fee on Paypal and $85 renewal fee on Paypal. I waited and waited and waited after sending a few emails and nothing happened so I contacted her on Facebook on Feb.14. Then she refunded the $25 late fee. And I thought, Good, now I'll get my certificate. However it never came again. So finally on the last week of Feb. I emailed and told her to just cancel it. But she didn't refund my money and still the certificate never came. I opened a case with Paypal. Now today, she wrote me a very lengthy email belittling me and putting me down again (just as she did when she cashed the check that my bank had accidentally sent her the over payment) stating "Cease and Desist" I had no idea what she was talking about so I replied to her that I had contacted her on Facebook and asked her about my renewal. And I reminded her that I'm permanently disabled and that she could be counter-sued as I fulfilled my end of the bargain. Then tonight, while reading the letter to a mutual colleague in the same profession, I finally got to the part of what she wanted me to cease and desist all emails, phone calls and texts. My colleague apologized that I was going through all this and she advised me to contact the facility that held the seminar where I enrolled in the courses that she was selling for other people. So I did. I have proof of three of the last payments that was sent to her in late 2017 for the months of October, November and December. The other payment was given to her face to face by way of cash. And then the last payments were wiped out when she refunded me for the course that had the broken cd and wouldn't play. I have very serious health conditions and have not been out of the house since Jan. 27th. What should I do? Does her email "Cease & Disist" have any legal baring when I didn't even read it because she was belittling me and lying. I kept asking myself "What does she want me to "Cease and Disist?" so I responded to her email several times with different bits and pieces of information until tonight when I read the letter to my friend and saw she didn't want me to email, call or text her anymore and she threatened to sue me. Thank you!

quincy

What is the name of your state? California. I entered into a verbal contract with an instructor/certification administrator on the basis that I paid her a lot of money up front and then she agreed to accept payments after that until it was paid off. I bought more than one course from her and the main one that I completed, she asked me if I wanted a certificate or an renewable endorsement. I only wanted the permanent certificate and nothing that had to be renewed as I'm on SS disability as single head of household. She sent me an expired endorsement certificate anyways then contacted me with an apology explaining that she would issue an up to date one. But again, she sent the endorsement not the certificate. I felt like I had to walk on eggs around her anyways as she seemed very hot headed and kinda shady. Anyways, the bank accidentally sent another payment before I was able to cancel all the auto payments as my obligations were paid. I called the bank as it had just happened that day ( in 2018), they said it was too late that they had already sent the check but I could contact the receiver and just ask them not to cash it. The problem is, she never saw my email. So she cashed it then got mad at me because it was stopped payment. Then I told her that the other course I bought from her the CD didn't play so she just refunded that by taking it off the balance. I was busy with my life & health license (my 1st professional career) so I just focused on that. I finally earned some money in the insurance industry (Less than $2000) in late 2019 so in Jan. 2020 I tried to renew my certification by sending her $25 late fee on Paypal and $85 renewal fee on Paypal. I waited and waited and waited after sending a few emails and nothing happened so I contacted her on Facebook on Feb.14. Then she refunded the $25 late fee. And I thought, Good, now I'll get my certificate. However it never came again. So finally on the last week of Feb. I emailed and told her to just cancel it. But she didn't refund my money and still the certificate never came. I opened a case with Paypal. Now today, she wrote me a very lengthy email belittling me and putting me down again (just as she did when she cashed the check that my bank had accidentally sent her the over payment) stating "Cease and Desist" I had no idea what she was talking about so I replied to her that I had contacted her on Facebook and asked her about my renewal. And I reminded her that I'm permanently disabled and that she could be counter-sued as I fulfilled my end of the bargain. Then tonight, while reading the letter to a mutual colleague in the same profession, I finally got to the part of what she wanted me to cease and desist all emails, phone calls and texts. My colleague apologized that I was going through all this and she advised me to contact the facility that held the seminar where I enrolled in the courses that she was selling for other people. So I did. I have proof of three of the last payments that was sent to her in late 2017 for the months of October, November and December. The other payment was given to her face to face by way of cash. And then the last payments were wiped out when she refunded me for the course that had the broken cd and wouldn't play. I have very serious health conditions and have not been out of the house since Jan. 27th. What should I do? Does her email "Cease & Disist" have any legal baring when I didn't even read it because she was belittling me and lying. I kept asking myself "What does she want me to "Cease and Disist?" so I responded to her email several times with different bits and pieces of information until tonight when I read the letter to my friend and saw she didn't want me to email, call or text her anymore and she threatened to sue me. Thank you!
A cease and desist letter/email is just a letter/email. It is not a court order. However, ignoring a cease and desist letter and continuing to do what you were advised not to do can lead to a future legal action.

You can speak to an attorney in your area to see what your best option is now to get the certificate. The attorney potentially could send a demand letter to the administrator.

Good luck.

eglentrpnr

Well now that I've read her letter you can believe that I will not ever be emailing, texting or calling her again. Thank you!

eglentrpnr

Here is a summary of the entire situation. Can you please tell me of an legal organization that helps disabled small business owners please? (link removed by mod)

Last edited:

Just Blue

Here is a summary of the entire situation. Can you please tell me of an legal organization that helps disabled small business owners please? (link removed)
I reported your post because of the identifying information in the link. Please do not post id'ing info.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">