• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

professional licensing: grandfather law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LMTmom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

I became licensed in Utah as an LMT (Licensed Massage Therapist) in 1998. Part of my training was in body wraps, which was taught in a course on hydrotherapy. It fell under my scope of practice. I recently found out that since 2004, one must be a licensed Master Esthetician to perform body wraps. The woman at the Department of Professional Licensing told me that "they took that away." Who is "they", anyway? She sent a reference to some law describing what is entailed for a Master Esthetician to qualify for licensure, which includes a course on body wrap and the definition and use of "body wrap". Who makes these laws and what was the legal measure for interpreting it? Why does their curriculum preclude massage therapists from performing body wraps? It doesn't seem to have anything to do with massage therapy, let alone remove the practice from it or any other profession. Has the definition of hydrotherapy changed too? And don't I qualify by a grandfather law anyway? I need to get practicing. I have a family to support.
-KS

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">