• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Profit Sharing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Scottfarrar

I'm in the state of Oklahoma.

I was hired with the understanding that a yearly profit sharing bonus would be available should the company show a profit for the year.

Now i'm being told that the profit sharing is part of a performance bonus for my department only, and if we do not hit our goal as individuals within that department, we will not be eligable for the profit sharing.

It's my understanding that profit sharing is for the entire company and i'm curious as to how they can now, in the middle of the year, hold my department accountable as though this is a performance based bonus.

Aren't these two things, profit sharing/performance bonus, seperate? Can they legally decide to single out my department?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If there is a written bonus and/or profit sharing agreement, then most likely (there can be exceptions) they have to abide by the terms of the agreement. It is not illegal for the agreement to be department-based.

If there is no written agreement, then they very likely can either or both change rules in mid-stream and single out your department to be treated differently.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">