• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Profit Sharing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jpc1258

What is the name of your state? California
My wife recently passed away, and I am trying to get her employer to release her profit sharing funds. Can they be withdrawn without penalty by the surviving spouse? And can the be withdrawn claiming exempt from federal taxes? And do I have a right to request all account details, such as transaction and deposits?

Thank You
JohnWhat is the name of your state?

Beth3

My condolences on the loss of your wife.

Can they be withdrawn without penalty by the surviving spouse? If you're under age 59-1/2, a 10% early withdrawal penalty will likely apply.

And can the be withdrawn claiming exempt from federal taxes? No. Any monies in your wife's 401(k) Plan are taxable income during the year they are withdrawn. The only way around this is to roll-over the funds into another tax-deferred plan, such as an IRA.

And do I have a right to request all account details, such as transaction and deposits? Naturally, you can request anything. :) You need to speak to the Plan Investment Advisor regarding obtaining an "accounting" of her account. What you're asking for shouldn't be a problem.

You may want to consider speaking with a tax/investment advisor before you withdraw the funds if you'd like to find some ways to minimize any withdrawal penalties and taxes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">