• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Progressive speed limit change speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

montrellmac

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
Need a little advice. I have 2 speeding tickets. One is an infraction (august) and the other is labeled criminal (november). In the criminal one, I was caught driving 76 in a 55. The thing is that I had just been driving this speed in a 65 and failed to see that the speed limit changed to 55. He pulled me over right as the speed limit changed. What is my best course of action. I am afraid that if I pay the infraction on line that this will already affect my insurance and with this other one now in my face I'm not sure what I will face. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
Need a little advice. I have 2 speeding tickets. One is an infraction (august) and the other is labeled criminal (november). In the criminal one, I was caught driving 76 in a 55. The thing is that I had just been driving this speed in a 65 and failed to see that the speed limit changed to 55. He pulled me over right as the speed limit changed. What is my best course of action. I am afraid that if I pay the infraction on line that this will already affect my insurance and with this other one now in my face I'm not sure what I will face. Any thoughts?
I think you should as least consult with an attorney....and stop with the pedal to the metal crap.

montrellmac

I think you should as least consult with an attorney....and stop with the pedal to the metal crap.
Thanks Just Blue. The thing is that I wasn't trying to speed in this situation. I just failed to notice that I had changed speed limits. If I had of seen it, I would have slowed down. In the 65 zone I was 10 to 11 over.

quincy

You were speeding even before the speed change. Failing to read a speed limit sign is not a great defense to speeding.

Whenever you face a criminal charge, consulting with an attorney is smart.

Just Blue

Thanks Just Blue. The thing is that I wasn't trying to speed in this situation. I just failed to notice that I had changed speed limits. If I had of seen it, I would have slowed down. In the 65 zone I was 10 to 11 over.
Sure you were trying to speed. A speed limit is the fastest you can go. It is an order not a suggestion.

In the criminal one, I was caught driving 76 in a 55. The thing is that I had just been driving this speed in a 65 and failed to see that the speed limit changed to 55. He pulled me over right as the speed limit changed.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
There is no "try". There is just do or not do.

You were speeding.

FlyingRon

76 in a 55 is indeed not only criminal (you could be jailed) but also includes a 30 day license suspension (mandatory). An attorney familiar with the court can probably get it reduced to ordinary speeding or some other non-criminal violation. PJC is off the table for this charge as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">