• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Promise of future growth employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

employeeQ

So here's the scoop, I work for a large retail company and we just got bought out by an even larger retail company. I've been offered a retention page for 1 year and a severance once I'm severed. 6 months ago I had almost taken a job with another company but then was convinced to stay because they said they would "elevate my career" and "guarantee future growth" etc. But in reality they knew the company was getting bought out and just wanted my tribal knowledge to pass on to the new company. I am getting a severance and retention bonus offered to me (there's no contract to sign) so at least I'm getting that. Do you think I have a legal case though since they knew that the company was being sold and told me otherwise to stay?

Thanks!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So here's the scoop, I work for a large retail company and we just got bought out by an even larger retail company. I've been offered a retention page for 1 year and a severance once I'm severed. 6 months ago I had almost taken a job with another company but then was convinced to stay because they said they would "elevate my career" and "guarantee future growth" etc. But in reality they knew the company was getting bought out and just wanted my tribal knowledge to pass on to the new company. I am getting a severance and retention bonus offered to me (there's no contract to sign) so at least I'm getting that. Do you think I have a legal case though since they knew that the company was being sold and told me otherwise to stay?

Thanks!
1: What US state are you in?

2: A case for what? :confused:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
But in reality they knew the company was getting bought out

And your proof is what?

eerelations

Thanks!
Some questions:

1. What's a "retention page"?

2. What does "tribal knowledge" mean?

3. If you're not in the US, why did you post here?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">