• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Promise to my niece

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?I live in Michigan and my 17 year old niece moved in with me in December of 2004, but we do not have legal custody or guardianship papers for her. My husband and I have a notorized letter from her mother stating that she is living with us and we have the right to make any educational decisions for her and get medical treatment if needed. However, in order to add her to my insurance, I need to get a notorized affadavit from the courts to prove this. Does anyone know how I would go about doing this? What kind of receipts should I keep to prove that we are supporting her? :confused: Also, I would just like to say thanks to any of you that might be able to give me some advice. :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential