• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

promised raise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I was recently started working for a company that offered me a certain hourly starting rate with a review and raise after 90 days. My manager informed me today that the General Manager is not going to give me a raise in 90 days because he doesn't want the added labor expense. It is written on my personel action form, which was filled out at the time I was hired, that I would have a review and raise at 90 days. This form was signed by my manager, the Director of Human Resources, and the General Manager. Is there any way to make them give me a raise, contingent of the fact that I will have an excellent review?



You seem to be one of the lucky few who have a written employment agreement. This is really a contract type question. You will have to quote to us at this bulletin board the exact language of the employment agreement in order for us to give you the best legal advice.

From what you have written, the employment agreement doesn't state that your promised raise was contingent on your receiving a good or excellent performance review. Thus, all you have to do to get the raise (based on what you told us) is for you to make it to the 90 day employment period. Then the employer has to give you a raise and a performance review.

There is no specifics as to how much of a raise you are to receive. That may be 1 cent or $500 more per hour.

What are you to do? I would say that you should consult with an employment law attorney near you. The reason being is that the GM has told you ahead of the 90 day employment date that he intends to break the employment agreement with you. So I would say that you need a professional in your corner to assist you to "encourage" your employer to comply with the agreement.

You can find an attorney near you at attorneypages.com.

Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential