• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Promised work. Hasn't come through.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AllieMarie

So, about a month ago, my boyfriend was told about this job by a family friend, and so my boyfriend applies because of obvious money difference between the place he was at and the place her was supposeso to be working at.

The info gathered from the family friend was that he was good friends with her, would pay $26.00, needed employees all of the time, and would pay for expenses. That she "went " through Shelly ( in Ohio by the way) meaning she sub-contracted through them. That she had just started out.

So, when he "applied" ( he texted her), saying he heard she needed people from said family friend, she was okay about it and what-not but demanded he put in his two weeks (he did).

Me being me things started getting sketchy. After his two weeks notice he tried to contact her everyday to see if she had work like he was supposed to. She didn't have a schedule you had to reporth to her to see if you worked and where. Most of the time she wouldn't respond until the next day. Claiming her phone was dead. And if he called she wouldn't answer most times and wouldn't respond until the next day. But always said she'd have work soon.

In this time he took his class for the job. (Sign turning). She told him two different things about his union dues. That they'll take $100 out of every check then changed it to that he'd have to pay half up front.

A week into him getting promised it would pick up soon.. she had told him she'd have work after memorial day.... waited a week... texted her Monday-Wednesday continued to promise she'd have work soon... skipped Thursday messaged her Friday said she would tell him Monday texted her Monday said she's going to try to get him work... and here we are. He doesn't know what to do. If there's anything he can legally do??

AllieMarie

What was/is sketchy to me

� She told him to call her so they could schedule a time to meet up to talk about everything. He called she never answered. She called the next day talked about one or two things and said he was hired.

� She keeps pushing it off.

� There is no schedule (which could be normal. I don't know.

� Her phone is never charged.

� No contract.

quincy

So, about a month ago, my boyfriend was told about this job by a family friend, and so my boyfriend applies because of obvious money difference between the place he was at and the place her was supposeso to be working at.

The info gathered from the family friend was that he was good friends with her, would pay $26.00, needed employees all of the time, and would pay for expenses. That she "went " through Shelly ( in Ohio by the way) meaning she sub-contracted through them. That she had just started out.

So, when he "applied" ( he texted her), saying he heard she needed people from said family friend, she was okay about it and what-not but demanded he put in his two weeks (he did).

Me being me things started getting sketchy. After his two weeks notice he tried to contact her everyday to see if she had work like he was supposed to. She didn't have a schedule you had to reporth to her to see if you worked and where. Most of the time she wouldn't respond until the next day. Claiming her phone was dead. And if he called she wouldn't answer most times and wouldn't respond until the next day. But always said she'd have work soon.

In this time he took his class for the job. (Sign turning). She told him two different things about his union dues. That they'll take $100 out of every check then changed it to that he'd have to pay half up front.

A week into him getting promised it would pick up soon.. she had told him she'd have work after memorial day.... waited a week... texted her Monday-Wednesday continued to promise she'd have work soon... skipped Thursday messaged her Friday said she would tell him Monday texted her Monday said she's going to try to get him work... and here we are. He doesn't know what to do. If there's anything he can legally do??
:confused:

It sounds to me as if your boyfriend needs to find a job where he actually goes to work and gets paid for what he does. Whatever it is he has now is not that.

I see no legal action in what you describe.

AllieMarie

:confused:

It sounds to me as if your boyfriend needs to find a job where he actually goes to work and gets paid for what he does. Whatever it is he has now is not that.

I see no legal action in what you describe.

She keeps promising him work and then another week rolls around and she has nothing. Makes up an excuse and tells him to wait. He was wondering i personally thoughthink the same thing my dad even told him " tell her to XXXX because waiting isn't paying your bills"

Last edited by a moderator:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Frankly, the OP's BF doesn't owe this "friend" anything. He should find a job and, if the friend ever does come through, he can just tell her "sorry, I've already found work elsewhere."

quincy

Frankly, the OP's BF doesn't owe this "friend" anything. He should find a job and, if the friend ever does come through, he can just tell her "sorry, I've already found work elsewhere."
I think anyone would think the same as the dad and I am surprised the boyfriend is still sitting around waiting for a call. A job is not much of a job if you are doing nothing and not getting paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">