• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Promoting into a new position that was not advertised, violating board policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

debr

What is the name of your state? MS

The school board approved a new position in an organizational chart that had a person's name by the position. Is it legal for the superintendent to promote someone to that position if the board policy says you must advertise for new positions for a 14 day period? How does the board correct this action?

Last edited:

quincy

If the school board approved a new position in an organizational chart that had a person's name by the position is it legal for the superintendent to promote someone in that position if the board policy says you must advertise for new positions for a 14 day period.
Possibly.

adjusterjack

The school board approved a new position in an organizational chart that had a person's name by the position. Is it legal for the superintendent to promote someone to that position if the board policy says you must advertise for new positions for a 14 day period? How does the board correct this action?
Are you on the board trying to correct a mistake or are you a teacher who wanted the job?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I didn't read it that the position was with the school board, but was a school position to which someone was appointed without the posting generally required by policy.

quincy

I didn't read it that the position was with the school board, but was a school position to which someone was appointed without the posting generally required by policy.
Oh. You are probably right.

In that case, the policy would need to be read in its entirety.

quincy

According to a message I received from debr, in a board meeting the school board approved by a 3-1 vote an organizational chart that included a new position. The superintendent promoted someone to fill this position. The new position that was filled is “assistant superintendent.”

I am going to guess that the superintendent is permitted under the policy to appoint his/her own assistant.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And I would agree that there is nothing in employment law that would prohibit this practice.

quincy

And I would agree that there is nothing in employment law that would prohibit this practice.
Then I guess the answer to debr’s question is best asked of the school board, if the answer cannot be found after reading the whole of the policy.

Reactions: cbg

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">