• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

promotion and pay raise taken back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daaboodaa

What is the name of your state? California

Yesterday my wife was sent a letter by email from HR and told by her manager that she was receiving a title change and a pay raise.
Today she was told by her manager that it was a mistake and not be receiving the title change or pay raise and that she would receive a letter from HR stating this.

Is there anything she could do about this?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? California

Yesterday my wife was sent a letter by email from HR and told by her manager that she was receiving a title change and a pay raise.
Today she was told by her manager that it was a mistake and not be receiving the title change or pay raise and that she would receive a letter from HR stating this.

About what? The mistake?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes. It is not like this just came out of the blue. She had been told for some time now that she would be at least getting a raise and manager told her that it was in process.
What actual harm has she suffered by not getting the raise?

Just Blue

Yes. It is not like this just came out of the blue. She had been told for some time now that she would be at least getting a raise and manager told her that it was in process.
There was an error that was quickly rectified. Your wife has no recourse...except perhaps looking for a different job if she feels slighted by her employer.

gryndor

This happens. My department has been without a boss for most of the year, and I'm one of three people who took on a heck of a lot more than my usual job to fill the boss's responsibilities. When we finally brought in a new Chief, our Board wanted to recognize my hard work and diligence. They passed a motion to give me a whatever-percent raise, but when they realized what that translated to into dollars, they passed a motion at the next meeting to rescind that decision. They kind of didn't realize how much I made, tabled the issue and haven't come back to it. It was a mistake and nothing was taken away from me except for a moment of expectation that was quickly corrected. If your wife feels like she was undercut by the possibility of a raise disintegrating, she can start somewhere new. If she loves her job like I love mine, she'll realize it's run by actual human beings that sometimes make mistakes.

daaboodaa

This happens. My department has been without a boss for most of the year, and I'm one of three people who took on a heck of a lot more than my usual job to fill the boss's responsibilities. When we finally brought in a new Chief, our Board wanted to recognize my hard work and diligence. They passed a motion to give me a whatever-percent raise, but when they realized what that translated to into dollars, they passed a motion at the next meeting to rescind that decision. They kind of didn't realize how much I made, tabled the issue and haven't come back to it. It was a mistake and nothing was taken away from me except for a moment of expectation that was quickly corrected. If your wife feels like she was undercut by the possibility of a raise disintegrating, she can start somewhere new. If she loves her job like I love mine, she'll realize it's run by actual human beings that sometimes make mistakes.
If only she loved her job and I am not sure her boss is human. Maybe robot. Thank you all for the answers!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl

Pulling up her big girl panties, recognizing that people (even in HR) are human and occasionally make mistakes, and moving on is the "anything" that comes to mind.

Of course she's disappointed. She wouldn't be human herself if she wasn't. And I think whoever sent out that letter, be it the manager or someone in HR, without confirming all the facts first needs to have their hand slapped severely. But this is not something for which the law is going to take a stand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">