• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Proof of....... ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gabbosgold

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

Having been disabled since '92, I continue to suffer from bad credit. In '87 I used a government loan to pay for schooloing I was unable to finish because of my disability. That has left me owing the government 4,000 dollars, which I can't clear up with my income as it is(medicaid, medicare). There are still a few negative marks on my credit record for minor accounts from '92 on up until now. As you have stated about the "disabled" being exempt in other states, I am wondering if that would also apply to me, and if so, how do I go about filing that I'm exempt from these past obligations ?

God Bless America ! :confused:

Ladynred

You are not exempt from paying your debts.. your disability INCOME is exempt from SIEZURE if a judment is obtained against you.

1992 debts, unless you've paid on them recently, should NOT still be on your credit report. The LIMIT is 7 years from the first delinquency for debts pre-1997 and 7 years from charge-off for anything charged-off after 1997 (change in the FRCA).

Accounts that went delinquent or charged-off more than 7 years ago you should dispute with the credit bureaus as "obsolete'. If collection agencies have illegally re-aged anything to keep them on your report, you can dispute those as illegal re-aging/obsolete and sue their butts for the FCRA violation.

As for your student loan - have you looked into getting those forgiven due to hardship ? It certainly seems as if permanent disability would apply.

The other thing to note here is that the Statute of Limitations on debts in SC is THREE YEARS. You cannot be sued, legally, for ANY of those dinosaur debts (other than the student loan). If anyone is still bugging you, send them a cease and desist letter telling them to never contact you again as the debt is time-barred.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">