• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Proper disposal of Medical-legal forms and records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bonoo

What is the name of your state? Florida

I'm not sure this is the proper forum, but I couldn't fine any other that seemed to fit my query.

Our office is a small, private doctor's office. He has boxes and boxes of old, Medicare explanation of benefits. These forms are more than 7 years old. Many of the individuals are deceased. We need to get rid of these, but are unsure of proper disposal. I'm sure shredding is preferred, but not practical due to the huge volume of paper we have, versus the resources to our disposal. (one doctor, 2 staff members). We are talking HUGE volume of records. What legally can we do to dispose of these?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Bonoo said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

I'm not sure this is the proper forum, but I couldn't fine any other that seemed to fit my query.

Our office is a small, private doctor's office. He has boxes and boxes of old, Medicare explanation of benefits. These forms are more than 7 years old. Many of the individuals are deceased. We need to get rid of these, but are unsure of proper disposal. I'm sure shredding is preferred, but not practical due to the huge volume of paper we have, versus the resources to our disposal. (one doctor, 2 staff members). We are talking HUGE volume of records. What legally can we do to dispose of these?

My response:

There are commercial shredding companies. They have trucks with large-volume shredders in them and, under your direction and visual inspection, they take the bundles and throw them into the heavy-duty shredder - - right then and there.

IAAL

B

Bonoo

Thanks for the reply. This office is in a small town, and I don't know that I've heard of a company locally that does this, but I will definitely check on Monday. But if not, is it illegal to just send it to the land fill (as has been suggested in the office) or is there a potential penalty in doing this? Is there liablility on the doctor's part?

FarmerJ

If you cannot find a document shredding company would your boss be willing to create a temp Job and buy a decent shredder and hire at min wage someone to feed the shredder till the volume of documents have been reduced to a level that it can be managed more easily ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">