• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Proper party to assert claim - civil vs. criminal causes of action

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


What is the name of your state? CA
I'm filing a civil complaint for breach of K, however, defendant also violated several codes under Business and Practices codes. Some codes, such as 7028 specify a criminal violation, and state "A criminal complaint pursuant to this chapter may be brought by the Attorney General or by the district attorney. 7028 states (a) It is a misdemeanor for any person to engage in the Business or act in the capacity of a contractor within this state without having a license therefore, unless the person is particularly exempted from the provisions of this chapter.
Other codes relate, it appears, speak strictly to civil remedies such as 1770: (the following unfair methods of competition and unfair or deceptive acts in a transaction are unlawful...)..I can't determine from the language of the statute if "unlawful" means criminally or civilly. Code 1780 provides a civil remedy for violation of 1770 - (a) Any consumer who suffers any damage as a result of the use or employment by any person of a method, act, or practice declared to be unlawful by Section 1770...goes on to provide for civil remedies.
Last, some codes to me, are not clear on who is the proper party - for example § 7110. Disregard or violation of statutes (Willful or deliberate disregard and violation of the building laws of the states), constitutes a cause for disciplinary action.
My questions are as follows:

If the code does not mention a felony or misdemeanor, is it safe to assume I am the proper party. And, in civil court, should I mention any of the violations such as 7028 or which carry criminal penalties? I feel 7028 is relevant to my cause of civil fraud and misrepresentation in the contract case. There is also a vehicle code that deals with false documentation that I feel is relevant for the same reason, vehicle code 4463 (False Evidences and Uses of Documents, Licenses, Devices, Placards, or Plates) - to prove his fraudulent acts in contract formation and performance.
May I request of the Judge (in writing, prior to the hearing) for a Statement of Decision stating whether he found there was any “fraud, misrep, conspiracy etc." so that I may provide this to the police or DA on criminal fraud, larceny, etc. charges?What is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential