• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property damage - petroleum and diesel fuel spill. sm.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stayinganon

I own some property that is L-shaped and snugs up to a neighboring piece of property that is now owned by a mortgage company bank as it was foreclosed on.

The ground water division of my state has tested the soil and it is showing 3400 TPH - Diesel Fuel. I was told this was 3 times the legal limit.

I am trying to get ground water to test my pond, which is only about 5 feet from the spill as well as testing the water on this property. I am getting the run around.

Here are a few questions I have:

1. What recourse do I have? I am sure my pond is contaminated along with the fish. I have a tenant on the property as well. It is a free-lease as it is a family member.

2. I have been told that sometimes companies in this position will offer to purchase the damaged property. What can be considered into the price of the property? It is a family home-place if you will and we had planned on having our girls move there to stay while in college. It would give them independence while also keeping them close to home and around people we know who can watch out for them.

3. Will I need an attorney to handle this?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stayinganon:
I own some property that is L-shaped and snugs up to a neighboring piece of property that is now owned by a mortgage company bank as it was foreclosed on.

The ground water division of my state has tested the soil and it is showing 3400 TPH - Diesel Fuel. I was told this was 3 times the legal limit.

I am trying to get ground water to test my pond, which is only about 5 feet from the spill as well as testing the water on this property. I am getting the run around.

Here are a few questions I have:

1. What recourse do I have? I am sure my pond is contaminated along with the fish. I have a tenant on the property as well. It is a free-lease as it is a family member.

2. I have been told that sometimes companies in this position will offer to purchase the damaged property. What can be considered into the price of the property? It is a family home-place if you will and we had planned on having our girls move there to stay while in college. It would give them independence while also keeping them close to home and around people we know who can watch out for them.

3. Will I need an attorney to handle this?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. the owner is responsible and liable, in this case it is the bank.

2. you need a real estate appraisal to determine opiion of property value.

3. you need to hire a attorney that knows environmental law.
www.epa.gov

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">