• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property damage to car from landlords faulty plumbing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I park my SUV in a single garage that I rent from my landlord. Due to leaking, corroded PVC plumbing pipes which splashed an unidentified chemical all over my SUV, my paint job, roof racks and molding were destroyed.

Besides a rental car and repair of my vehicle and my deductible should I be getting pain and suffering compensation? If so how much would be reasonable?

Thank you.
Sharon Cox


Senior Member
Corroded PVC? What kind of chemicals were flushed to corrode the PVC and cause damage to your car?

Do you have comprehensive insurance with rental car coverage? Likely the only way you will get a rental car covered. File a claim with your auto insurance. Let them go after the home owner/home owner's property liability insurance--if they can.

Regardless, you will not get pain and suffering. Your vehicle is an inanimate object, has no feelings, and can feel no pain.


Junior Member
The tennant above my garage used Drano to unclog a tub which could have been what splashed all over my SUV. The police and maintenance man determined the chemical dripped from the pipes.

I filed a claim with my insurance company already. They told me they will try and recover my $500.00 deductible. I don't have car rental coverage so I will have to fight for that myself.

The adjuster from my apartment complex is calling me today.

Thank you for explaining the pain and suffering issue.



Senior Member
If the property owner did not put the chemicals in the drain that caused the damage or had prior knowledge the pipes leaked, why would the property owner be responsible for damages to your car? Just playing the devil's advocate.

If your insurance company is planning to try to subrugate the claim to the property owner, the adjuster should call them--i think. Call your insurance agent before you get a call from the adjuster to make sure.

The insurance company will try to recoup their loses--not necessarily your deductable.


Senior Member
Subrogation does normally include the deductible. However you shouldn't hold your breath on them accepting any blame for this.

And pain and suffering? Are you kidding me? Did the drano splash in your eye or something? Pain and suffering is for INJURIES.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential