• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Destruction & Restitution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Formless

Hello, I live in Connecticut, and last night I was a victim of domestic violence. The person being violent deliberately destroyed my $1600 laptop computer because he was mad that I called the police. He was charged with Assault and Criminal Mischief, which includes destruction of property in the state of CT, but I am wondering now whether he will be forced to pay me for what he destroyed. The police took pictures of the computer broken into pieces on the floor, and I took pictures as well. They were not willing to tell me whether I will be reimbursed because they claim they are not sure what the court will do. So, if there is anyone here with experience in a similar case, what can I expect the court to do to help me replace my computer? Would it be unreasonable to expect to be paid the full retail price?

quincy

Hello, I live in Connecticut, and last night I was a victim of domestic violence. The person being violent deliberately destroyed my $1600 laptop computer because he was mad that I called the police. He was charged with Assault and Criminal Mischief, which includes destruction of property in the state of CT, but I am wondering now whether he will be forced to pay me for what he destroyed. The police took pictures of the computer broken into pieces on the floor, and I took pictures as well. They were not willing to tell me whether I will be reimbursed because they claim they are not sure what the court will do. So, if there is anyone here with experience in a similar case, what can I expect the court to do to help me replace my computer? Would it be unreasonable to expect to be paid the full retail price?
Following is a link to the website for the Office of Governmental Accountability, Office of the Victim Advocate, with an overview on a crime victims' right to restitution: http://www.ct.gov/ova/cwp/view.asp?a=2190&q=295790

There is no way to tell you what the court will or will not order if the person who was charged with assault and criminal mischief is convicted on the charge. If he is not convicted, or if restitution is not ordered, you might have to sue to recover damages.

I hope you are no longer involving yourself with the fellow who assaulted you. If abused once by the guy, the odds are good that you will be abused again by him if you stay with him.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">