• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property for sale / how to avoid the sale of your property being transformed into trailer park or tent city

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Alabama

property for sale / how to avoid the sale of your property being transformed into a trailer park or tent city .

what can anyone do to prevent this ?

create a pre-designed contract ?

Note: property is within the county ; not city limits .

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Alabama

property for sale / how to avoid the sale of your property being transformed into a trailer park or tent city .

what can anyone do to prevent this ?

create a pre-designed contract ?

Note: property is within the county ; not city limits .
?? To clarify, are you asking if you can prevent a property that you sold from becoming a trailer park by the new owner?

Ron, thank you for your reference . I was not sure exactly how my situation should have been properly stated / thank you for sharing ' deed restriction ' with me .

Sincerely

?? To clarify, are you asking if you can prevent a property that you sold from becoming a trailer park by the new owner?
yes . what can i do [ pre - sale ] [ document wise ] to ward off the new property owner from creating a trailer park / tent city ?

Ron, suggested a deed restriction .
+
i learned as well : Termed : deed restrictions and/or restrictive covenants

Last edited:

adjusterjack

Ron, suggested a deed restriction .
Think twice about that. Deed restrictions will limit the amount of buyers, thus limiting the amount of money you'll get for the property. I walked away from dozens of homes last year because of deed restrictions and all I wanted was a back yard garage.

Besides, why do you care what happens to the place once you sell it?

I sold my old place a couple of months ago. As soon as I got my check it was Hasta La Vista, Baby. It could be a chicken farm now for all I care.

Think twice about that. Deed restrictions will limit the amount of buyers, thus limiting the amount of money you'll get for the property. I walked away from dozens of homes last year because of deed restrictions and all I wanted was a back yard garage.

Besides, why do you care what happens to the place once you sell it?

I sold my old place a couple of months ago. As soon as I got my check it was Hasta La Vista, Baby. It could be a chicken farm now for all I care.
When you know all of the surrounding neighbors / and have built lasting relationships .... [ farming community ] .... respect and dignity actually still exists in a few places on earth : )

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
A deed restriction won't do anything if you aren't willing and able to fight it in court (if it come to that). Are you willing and able to spend (possibly) large amounts of money, time and aggravation (attempt) to enforce a deed restriction on a property that you have no legal ties to?

FlyingRon

Usually, it's not the grantor that fights the deed restriction violation. Deed restrictions usually show up in cases of subdivision to protect the divided properties against each other and it's the neighboring properties that brings the enforcement action.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Usually, it's not the grantor that fights the deed restriction violation. Deed restrictions usually show up in cases of subdivision to protect the divided properties against each other and it's the neighboring properties that brings the enforcement action.
The same question applies to the neighbors. In any case, the OP would no longer have a dog in the fight.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Ah, but the difference in a HOA is that all those HOA homeowners are bound together in the same restrictive covenants for the benefit of all the affected owners. A homeowner sitting next to a property in a HOA would have no standing to enforce the deed restrictions on a HOA member even though the non HOA owner might like the restrictions, too, and benefit from them. Here, it's the same thing. The neighbors are not part of the deal between Cantelope6 and his buyer and would have no standing to enforce the deed restrictions in that deal. Cantelope6 would have to enforce it himself since as the grantor of the deed he would have standing to enforce it.

FlyingRon

Who said squat about an HOA?

I'm dealing with properties here without an HOA that were subdivided off a large parcel and contain development conditions in the deed that comprised that subsdivision.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">