• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property line dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kflbp

What is the name of your state?Pennsylvania
I will try to keep this as short as possible.
About 10 years ago we purchased our property and found out that one of our property lines runs through the neighbors garage. We immediately notified this neighbor and due to wanting to keep the peace, decided to not do anything about it until they decided to sell their property. Well they have decided to sell their property and she is claiming that the property is her's and that we have no rights to it, even though both of our deeds clearly are the same as far as where this property line is, we have had it surveyed and the surveyor has said that she cannot sell this property until this issue is taken care of. We have also maintained this property for the last couple of years because her husband was on his death bed. A little history of the properties: Both of the properties were once a single lot. In the early 60's the owner of our property decided to sell off a lot 130' X 80', sometime after that the owner of the 130 x 80 lot decided to build a garage that went over the property line. This small lot has been sold 4 times and never once was it disputed by either property owner until we purchased the property. Based on what we know, nobody knew about where the exact property line was until the around August 1989, when our property was surveyed and the surveyor notified the owner of the smaller lot at that time, who turned around in September 1989 and sold the property to the current owner. The current owner. They never told the bank that gave them a mortgage for the property of the surveyors findings as they were able to get a mortgage.
We have been unable to find any paperwork that has any information about this garage, it is not on file in the township or in our county courthouse. My question is, do we have any rights? Are we entitled to have this garage torn down? can she claim adverse possession?
Any and all advise is welcome.
Thank you
kflbp

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Sue her for trespass and file a lis pendens on her property. This is fancy legalese for, "I have a lawsuit going that affects your real estate."

That will keep her from selling it.

Also, as count two of your lawsuit, ask for the title to be quieted in your name (i.e., you get to keep the garage).

This should make her sit up and pay attention.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">