• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property line issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sonny6

What is the name of your state? Washington State.
Our house was built in 1907 on two lots with a driveway alongside the house, leading to a garage in back. In the 1930's a small house was built next to the driveway and there was a simple joint use agreement for the driveway. Since the newer house has a garage in front, the driveway has always been for the exclusive use of our house. There is about three feet next to our garage in the back corner that is our property, but we allowed our former neighbor to use for the last ten years or so. We didn't have much use for it, he built a little shed and a fence along the driveway leading to the front corner of our garage.
He has since sold the property to a mother that bought it for her college son's and friends to party in the backyard. BTW, she financed it as a personal residence, but in reality it is a rental. What can we do to regain the property next to the garage and maintain our usage of the driveway?

BelizeBreeze

sonny6 said:
What is the name of your state? Washington State.
Our house was built in 1907 on two lots with a driveway alongside the house, leading to a garage in back. In the 1930's a small house was built next to the driveway and there was a simple joint use agreement for the driveway. Since the newer house has a garage in front, the driveway has always been for the exclusive use of our house. There is about three feet next to our garage in the back corner that is our property, but we allowed our former neighbor to use for the last ten years or so. We didn't have much use for it, he built a little shed and a fence along the driveway leading to the front corner of our garage.
He has since sold the property to a mother that bought it for her college son's and friends to party in the backyard. BTW, she financed it as a personal residence, but in reality it is a rental. What can we do to regain the property next to the garage and maintain our usage of the driveway?
Send them a certified (RRR) letter asking that they take down the fence and remove the shed from the property within 10 business days or you will have such removed at their expense.

HappyMarriage2

I live in Washington also if a fence has been in place for 7 years then you cannot make them move it. Try typing in the google search engine Washington laws and rules fences.

BelizeBreeze

HappyMarriage2 said:
I live in Washington also if a fence has been in place for 7 years then you cannot make them move it. Try typing in the google search engine Washington laws and rules fences.
Listen, you do NOT understand the laws of Adverse Possession so stop trying to confuse people.

He has since sold the property
Now why would I quote that particular passage?

HomeGuru

HappyMarriage2 said:

**A: do you have any other urban legends from Washington?

S

sonny6

Actually for Washington State urban legends (derivatives) there's plenty on TV and movies: The old Nightstalker, Blue Velvet, and we had the Green River Killer and varous others. Read anything by Ann Rule.
I have now cleared the neighbors encroachment and finally tracked her down. She is an out of state (San Franscisco) 25 year old who recently cashed some computer stock options to buy her friends a house to party in. She seems willing to pay my charges, after I did some additional work she requested. However, I am pessimistic; I was looking at going to small claims. Also, Could I file a lien on her property? Are there any other options?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">