• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property line overlap

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bronteone

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Recently I had a new neighbor buy the house next door. After about 6 months of him living there he has cut down a hedge of shrubs that were planted on my side of the property line. After further investigation my surveyor has found that there is a five foot overlap between our properties. My neighbor is trying to claim five foot of my property. All of the fence lines on the block coincide with my survey, but I have had my surveyor come back out and he says that when the measurements were originally put into the plot books they said that we each had 80 foot lots but there really is only one 80 foot lot and one 75 foot lot. What can I do to keep my five foot of land. I have a privacy fence that runs on the property down the back half of my land and I don't want to have to remove it, but my neighbor insists that he owns the land and persists on mowing that section and has cut down about 3,000.00 worth of shrubs. Help me please.

Tammy

HomeGuru

bronteone said:

Recently I had a new neighbor buy the house next door. After about 6 months of him living there he has cut down a hedge of shrubs that were planted on my side of the property line. After further investigation my surveyor has found that there is a five foot overlap between our properties. My neighbor is trying to claim five foot of my property. All of the fence lines on the block coincide with my survey, but I have had my surveyor come back out and he says that when the measurements were originally put into the plot books they said that we each had 80 foot lots but there really is only one 80 foot lot and one 75 foot lot. What can I do to keep my five foot of land. I have a privacy fence that runs on the property down the back half of my land and I don't want to have to remove it, but my neighbor insists that he owns the land and persists on mowing that section and has cut down about 3,000.00 worth of shrubs. Help me please.

Tammy

**A: when did you have your survey done and is the 5 foot section in your property based on the recent survey?

B

bronteone

Re: Re: Property line overlap

HomeGuru said:
bronteone said:

Tammy

**A: when did you have your survey done and is the 5 foot section in your property based on the recent survey?
***My original survey was done in 1997 when I purchased my home when my neighbor started to claim that the land was his and showed me a survey done for his property but for someone else they did not coincide so I had my survey come back out to verify the lines a couple of months ago, that's when my surveyor discovered there was a 5 foot overlap

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">